Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,734   Online: 1024

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

NER

Images

What is this?

The first image is a reflective scan of an unprocessed 8x10 negative cropped to remove the notch code and altered in PS (using the "equalize" adjustment) to reveal the mysterious pattern as clearly as I can manage using that bizarre and unfamiliar tool.

The second image is the same as the first, except that it is presented in "grayscale" mode.

The third image is the same as the second, except that it is further injured by another affliction of the "equalize" tool.

I suspect this is the emulsion itself. The pattern is clearly visible on inspection of the film, although it seems impossible to discern any difference in the thickness of the emulsion by visual examination alone. The pattern reveals itself without variance in the processed negative as well. I do not think this phenomenon can be attributed to the processing agents or steps used, precisely because the pattern appears in the UNPROCESSED negatives, and the materials and methods that were used work satisfactorily with all the other emulsions I have ever tried. I discount for now the possibility that this can be the anti-halation coat because the pattern remains after processing which normally removes that coat. The film was refrigerated.

I have written to the manufacturer about this. While I wait for a reply, I wonder if any reader of this note has encountered anything similar before or has a different theory about the nature or cause of this strange (and for me unprecedented) finding? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails neg1.JPG   neg2.JPG   neg3.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm unclear on the purpose of doing the scans, Norman, particularly in reflective mode. Are you having trouble with similar patterns showing up as variations of transmission density in processed negatives with this emulsion batch?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

NER

Images
    The reflective mode scan was made because the pattern shows best when the unprocessed film is scanned in that manner. For a processed negative, the pattern shows (although less distinctly) with a regular transparency scan. The answer to your second question is "yes." More importantly, the variations show in the prints from affected negatives. This is by no means an anomaly due to the scanner I have. To illustrate, the first scan below is an unmanipulated scan of a negative of the emulsion in question. The second image is the first scan adjusted using the PS equalize tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan2a.JPG   scan2b.JPG  
    Last edited by NER; 12-18-2004 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ouch! Obviously (to me at least), a "manufacturing defect", but I'm not sure what would cause the anomoly. It looks like something (improperly mixed, or contaminated emulsion components, perhaps?) being pushed along by the rollers in the coating process, but in a chattering sort of way. I'm curious to hear what the manufacturer has to say.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Norman,

Please post when you receive an answer from the manufacturer.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    They almost look like drip marks....as if the emulsion was still wet, and the sheet was tipped up, causing the emulsion to 'run'...

Very odd.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The film hasn't been through multiple airport security scanners, has it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can definitely see the Virgin Mary in your film defect! What a wondrous miracle! You should immediately put it on Ebay to show your appreciation to the Almighty!

Then go have a cheese sandwich....

Cheers
    My Verito page

Anyone can appreciate a fine print. But it takes a real photographer to appreciate a fine negative.

NER

Images
    Yes, they look exactly like drip marks. These marks appear only on the emulsion side of the film. In the processed negative, the densities across areas of uniform value vary with the pattern, suggesting that the emulsion is alternately thick and thin. As far as I know, the film has not been subjected to any treatment that might reasonably account for the pattern. It is not due to the processing (the pattern appears in the UNPROCESSED negative, and shows up in negatives whether processed by tray or tube). It occurs only with this particular run of film, i.e., emulsion number, and does not occur with other films - different films - processed identically. It is not a problem with the scanner. The only plausible explanation I can think of is a manufacturing defect. I will report the manufacturer's response. Thanks for your interest and opinions.

NER

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfwhitaker
    I can definitely see the Virgin Mary in your film defect! What a wondrous miracle! You should immediately put it on Ebay to show your appreciation to the Almighty!

Then go have a cheese sandwich....

Cheers
    Hi Will. That's an interesting idea ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin