Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,664   Online: 788

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    The point is that to make a film of comparable quality to good vinyl is orders of magnitude more complex. And more expensive.

PE
    I actually prefer the vacuum tube analogy - tube technology went obsolete in the 60's, when they also reached their peak in design. They are not easy to make, all the old manufacturers departed the industry, and today, the tube amplifier is highly sought after by audiophiles and musicians. There was a period of time when the solid state amplifier was touted as the death of the tube.

To make a long story short - brand new tube driven Fenders, Marshalls, and Voxes are built every day and in some cases, cost a perspective owner thousands of dollars, and many with the exact same circuits, (albeit, with some models being built with more modern building techniques) as they used 40-60 years ago. Then there is a whole boutique industry of equipment out there used by discriminating guitarists the world over. Much like film, there are tube sniffers out there buying the vintage GE, Sylvania or Mullard, but the new tubes of JJ, Sovtek, and others are quite good.

My 2 cents - I believe film will survive, if companies like Ilford can stick it out financially. People who enjoy this medium are not about to bail out and over time, discerning folks are going to come into this area. Like the tube world, there's not much need for new R&D, the old stuff works just fine.
    --
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goldstein View Post
    I actually prefer the vacuum tube analogy - tube technology went obsolete in the 60's, when they also reached their peak in design. They are not easy to make, all the old manufacturers departed the industry, and today, the tube amplifier is highly sought after by audiophiles and musicians. There was a period of time when the solid state amplifier was touted as the death of the tube.

To make a long story short - brand new tube driven Fenders, Marshalls, and Voxes are built every day and in some cases, cost a perspective owner thousands of dollars, and many with the exact same circuits, (albeit, with some models being built with more modern building techniques) as they used 40-60 years ago. Then there is a whole boutique industry of equipment out there used by discriminating guitarists the world over. Much like film, there are tube sniffers out there buying the vintage GE, Sylvania or Mullard, but the new tubes of JJ, Sovtek, and others are quite good.

My 2 cents - I believe film will survive, if companies like Ilford can stick it out financially. People who enjoy this medium are not about to bail out and over time, discerning folks are going to come into this area. Like the tube world, there's not much need for new R&D, the old stuff works just fine.
    Not just guitar amps still use tubes!

http://caryaudio.com/products/classic.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and to think i spent more $ on my turntable than the cost of a new D4.........

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    While digital photography is popular in many countries this is not uniformly true around the globe. In poorer countries people are still using film.
    Very true for the poorer African countries Gerald. Having travelled the Atlantic coast many times from Senegal down to Nigeria it always amazed me how readily film was available, even if near always colour. Developing booths are also readily trading under tin roofs. Just a shame I never went with film because I'd have loved to have been able to show some results, but maybe next time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the comparison is reasonably valid, in that both vinyl records and film are traditional analog mediums, both of which faced rapid declines (vinyl in the 1990's, film in the 2000's) due to new digital technology. My general impression is that it takes about 20 years from the first signs of major decline until the older technology becomes fully embraced again as a niche product. Just as vinyl records were declared "dead" in 1990 by CD enthusiasts (then were suddenly "cool" again by 2010) I fully expect film to be fully "rediscovered" by a younger generation by 2020. I guess time will tell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The comparison is NOT valid. The level of technology between the two is orders of magnitude apart.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oil paint is obsolete because of acrylic. Oil paint is messier than acrylic, contains all sorts of toxins, needs toxic solvent to clean brushes. It also takes much longer to dry. So why do we continue to use. It is available and produces results even with these "problems." The same goes for film.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Digital telephones have more or less replaced analog phones; does this mean that analog phones are coming back in 20 years?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, as a longtime printer, I remember when letterpress was declared "dead" in 1980. By 2000 it was very trendy again for certain types of work--particularly wedding invitations--and that trend continues. Just another traditional analog technology that went through a steep decline then was reinvented. There will still be good working film cameras around in 2020 (just as there are still good letterpress printing presses and vintage turntables today). If there is no validity to the comparison the only argument at point would be to predict there will be no more film manufacturing.
    I'm not sure that is something any of us can predict with certainty, but I don't personally choose to believe film will entirely die out in my lifetime. I believe it can survive as a niche product.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Artistic mediums and everyday technologies are not the same. The phone analogy doesn't hold up because it an everyday technology, few care about the way their phone works. Viewers are the same they generally don't care how it was done but the artists do. In the art world technology and mediums are seldom outdated. Anything involving production and graphic design is another matter however. I work for the student newspaper and am also a journalism student. Why would I use a film camera for this when I have digital, it doesn't make sense. But when working on my artwork it makes total sense. They are two different worlds.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin