Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,827   Online: 816

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, has anybody noticed the crazy high prices paid for film cameras on ebay lately? Or rotary phones for that matter? http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Western-...-/261106874145 If "nobody" was interested in these things they would be trading for a dime a dozen, but if anything the prices are going through the roof. All of this is admittedly somewhat parenthetical to the central debate of whether film will survive. Perhaps we can all agree that we hope so.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Again, other than MFSL pressings and the massive waves of original pressings and reissues before 1986 that have never stopped trading hands, all these new pressings (the so-called sign that "vinyl is not dead") are from digital sources and make up a very small percentage of the lps on the market. As a collector I can tell you that vinyl never died. It's like saying the book died because the kindle came to the marketplace. Oh look, people are still buying books - must be a comeback...lol. Besides, I hear this lp/film analogy a lot, but mostly from twenty somethings who buy their lps and their lomos at the same time from urban outfitters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nexus757 View Post
    Well, has anybody noticed the crazy high prices paid for film cameras on ebay lately? Or rotary phones for that matter? http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Western-...-/261106874145 If "nobody" was interested in these things they would be trading for a dime a dozen, but if anything the prices are going through the roof. All of this is admittedly somewhat parenthetical to the central debate of whether film will survive. Perhaps we can all agree that we hope so.
    They can ask any price and with eBay free listings, no cost involved. The important comparison would be what they have sold for!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    95% film/vinyl user here. Some times i sin.
    Nicholai Nissen
    Kolding, Denmark
    nicholainissen@gmail.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This thread has replayed itself over and over, like a vinyl record with a crack in it. Nothing is going wrong - tik - going wrong - tik - going wrong - tik - forever and ever and ever.

GET IT CLEAR! Film is a high tech item, but vinyl and oil paints are low tech in comparison. The best films we can make at home today compare with the era of Edison and 78 rpm! The best comparison with tubes (valves) might be a crystal set or old one tube radio.

So, if film vanishes, we will be able to make plates and sheet film, 120 roll film and papers in the speed of about 3 - 100 for film and up to current enlarging speeds for paper. Our sizes will run about 11x14 max with a yield of about 80% or so. With advanced equipment, we can equal the work of Jim Browning.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholai View Post
    95% film/vinyl user here. Some times i sin.
    You have an iPod?
    Last edited by michaelbsc; 10-08-2012 at 04:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it is very sad how much time is spent on beating this into the ground.
    "Get busy livin or Get busy dyin'".....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This thread has replayed itself over and over, like a vinyl record with a crack in it. Nothing is going wrong - tik - going wrong - tik - going wrong - tik - forever and ever and ever.

GET IT CLEAR! Film is a high tech item, but vinyl and oil paints are low tech in comparison. The best films we can make at home today compare with the era of Edison and 78 rpm! The best comparison with tubes (valves) might be a crystal set or old one tube radio.

So, if film vanishes, we will be able to make plates and sheet film, 120 roll film and papers in the speed of about 3 - 100 for film and up to current enlarging speeds for paper. Our sizes will run about 11x14 max with a yield of about 80% or so. With advanced equipment, we can equal the work of Jim Browning.

PE
    I for one was not saying we would make tubes/valves at home. I am stating that a company, such as Ilford, will possibly the niche player to keep film alive, just as Sovtek, a former military tube manufacturer for the defunct Soviet Union, found a way to stay in business with the severely reduced demand for vacuum tube technology.

I have no interest, personally, in making my own film. It would be dead for me if that was the case.
    --
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Certainly David, but look at EFKE. They cannot make film and paper efficiently and with a reasonable profit.

So, yes, Ilford is a high quality producer, but here we are talking about the SURVIVAL of film. That is different than making it yourself, but it is also different than having a first class, top of the line company making it in the long term future.

I have high hopes, but just in case..........

In any event, this is a replay of many past threads and is becoming onerous.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have high hopes,
    PE
    Me too. And it is hard for a lay person such as myself observing the film industry of today to really know the true challenges facing a company like Ilford and especially Kodak.

In the meantime, I will just keep on shooting... :-)
    --
    David

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin