Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 884

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Vinyl survived, and so will Film

In fact, young people like vinyl nowadays. And some I know love shooting and developing film.

Shot on Tri-X at a Filipino wedding last week:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-25-DiscJockey.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	430.7 KB 
ID:	58176

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Local stores were short on used stock last month after all of the new fine arts students had bought their SLRs for the term!

I started with MF when I was 19...only five years ago. I only know a few other young(er) people that shoot film, so I sometimes feel there's a generational gap and no social support with it, but thankfully that's where the internet comes in handy. Thanks apug.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Probably the greatest moot point in the 'film is dead' argument. Music has deeper roots in our culture than photography, and this is the reason vinyl is still around. Every other person over the age of 20 is a music aficionado - not the case with photography unfortunately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm checking eBay for two turntables, and a microphone !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm thinking there are several reasons why the vinyl analogy, while hopeful, may not apply:
    - It is comparatively easier, by an order of magnitude or two, to produce vinyl records than it is film. The same is true, to a lesser degree for manufacturing turntables vs. cameras.
    - Just about anybody can put a record on a turntable and get a satisfactory result without much effort. Analog photos require much more effort and even for folks who do this often, the results are not always satisfying (I prove this point regularly.
    - There is no comparable process in vinyl usage to film processing. It's an added, complex step that non-skilled folks are mostly left out of without the processing infrastructure that is rapidly disappearing.

That said, I enjoy both film and vinyl these days and am happy to see that vinyl is still around, and not just as a remnant. Current music is being released in vinyl and often comes with a certificate to download the digital version as well. Last night in Target, I saw several different turntable models on sale, mostly promoted as a way to convert LPs to MP3s, but usable for listening also. Alas, I saw no film.
    Louis
    (Paladin1420)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Beyond the fact that they're both derived from petrochemicals, I find this comparison specious at best. Considering that the vast majority of lps being pressed today are from digital copies of masters (oftentimes with terrible remastering) perhaps this analogy belongs over at the hybid forum?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While digital photography is popular in many countries this is not uniformly true around the globe. In poorer countries people are still using film.

The main problem with digital phtography is that there are no consumables. The average person seldom makes a digital print. In order for a company to make money they must keep selling newer cameras. This is a very poor economic model for eventually the market becomes saturated.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-07-2012 at 01:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The strength of this analogy is that vinyl records are an example of products that have retained a viable (although small) market despite the fact that they aren't the latest/most advanced/most exciting product.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    While digital photography is popular in many countries this is not uniformly true around the globe. In poorer countries people are still using film.

The main problem with digital phtography is that there are no consumables. The average person seldom makes a digital print. In order for a company to make money they must keep selling newer cameras. This is a very poor economic model for eventually the market becomes saturated.
    This does not make sense to me. Poorer countries still using film, with digital you don't need to buy film (no consumables). The average person seldom makes a digital print?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The point is that to make a film of comparable quality to good vinyl is orders of magnitude more complex. And more expensive.

PE

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin