Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,027   Online: 728

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    I was taught to mix up only what was going to be used that session and to throw it out after use. We were sternly warned against reuse of photo flo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only use for a short while and discard. Also, I find that mixing to directions causes Newton rings when I print. I dilute about 4X what is recommended and it works well.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It grows stuff. I'll reuse it for a day (could be 8-10 rolls processed) but not keep it overnight. Made that mistake only once.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    It grows stuff. I'll reuse it for a day (could be 8-10 rolls processed) but not keep it overnight. Made that mistake only once.
    I had the same experience .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if your photo-flo is really accumulating fixer -- guy, ur not rinsing your film long enough. Foto-flo is the final rinse AFTER thorough washing purely to get cleaner negs.

I put a "smidge" -- maybe 1/6th of a cap ful, into the developing tank at the end of the rinse, soak negs for 30 seconds, hang to dry, toss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Typically, I will dump the water from the rinse and then add 2-3 drops of photoflo to a 20oz tank and fill it, adding a little extra water after it's full/shaken to wash some of the extra suds away.

Ratio-wise, it's probably less than 1:1000, but I've never had any issues. I think 1:1000 is a good, safe bet as long as you rinse well enough beforehand. The stuff is used so sparingly I've never gone through a bottle before its printed expiration date. And while I can't imagine it ever going bad, it's so cheap you don't need to worry about using a little excess every time.

Shooter
    35mm
    I mix 2 liters at a time and use it one shot as needed. I've heard a lot of stories of nasties growing in the solution but I haven't encountered it myself...and since I have to learn everything the hard way, I'll continue that practice until I do.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    It can last a long time, but then again, it's probably cheaper than the water you're mixing it in. I have had occasions where something precipitates out if it (fixer residue or stuff in the local water?) and I'll throw it out and mix new.

PS: I don't mix at 1:1000 like Ralph, but probably half the recommendation, about 1:400. Precision is not critical with this stuff.
    I also have precipitates after some 12-15 processing. I am used to lightly shake the solution under the light, just to see or not the precipitates.

Good idea to reduce the dilution. Mine was 1:200 as Kodak recommends.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    At the university, I mix up a gallon and the students dunk their film in it after washing. It stays on the counter (w/lid) for a few days until it just starts to get cloudy. We have done this since at least 1978 when I took my first class there...and probably the 20 years before that. I recommend that the students see-saw the film through it, but some dunk the reel w/film into the tank.

No problems -- unless someone mixes it up a little strong.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Gosh, Vaughn ... I thought that up thar in the woods folks would be fermenting it for microbrew.
    It takes me at least a decade to use up a bottle of Photoflow. It doesn't take more than a few drops
    at a time. And kept too long it will breed Saprolegnia (water mold, just in case you want some of
    that authentic aged taste in the hooch, Vaughn ... prints some labels like "Saprolegnia Silver" and
    some place like Beverages & More could probably sell it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin