Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,454   Posts: 1,570,502   Online: 1036

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ... kept too long it will breed Saprolegnia ...
    So that's what it is!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Yep. That can be controlled with a little real Listerine (thymol) in the blend. But don't know if mint
    flavor will make a neg print different than regular flavor! Or you can filter the water thru a coffee
    filter and risk lint from that getting into the water. Just so much easier to mix up fresh each session
    and not worry about all this other stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have filtered the goobers out but, in the long run, I find it to be faster, easier and just as cheap to toss the stuff out and mix up a new batch.

Now, I hardly ever mix batches. I just drip a few drops into a small beaker of water and stir.
    Faster, easier, probably a lot cheaper and no goobers.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Gosh, Vaughn ... I thought that up thar in the woods folks would be fermenting it for microbrew.
    It takes me at least a decade to use up a bottle of Photoflow. It doesn't take more than a few drops
    at a time. And kept too long it will breed Saprolegnia (water mold, just in case you want some of
    that authentic aged taste in the hooch, Vaughn ... prints some labels like "Saprolegnia Silver" and
    some place like Beverages & More could probably sell it.
    The university darkroom (125 students/semester) has been working off the same bottle of Photo-flo here for well over a decade. But it is a gallon bottle...and is the Photo-flo 2100. Yes, mixed 1:2100 for use.

I take 7 oz of it and mix it to make a gallon of stock solution. The stock solution is then mixed at 1 oz per gallon for use. I doubt I will get thru the original gallon of 2100 before I retire.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Has anyone tried using other sources of surfactants for film drying? I know dish detergent is frowned on, but they sell industrial wetting agents at gardening centres for getting water into high-silicate soils. Anyone tried that?

For those of us without access to a lifetime supply of Photoflo-2100, it might become an interesting question soon. My previous bottle of Photoflo-200 was $3.99 (2009) and I've got 25% left. Concerned at Kodak going bust, I bought a new bottle last month: $12.99. I don't reckon I'll be able to buy any more at any price in Australia as the shops say it's discontinued and I got the last bottle from my local store.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ilford Ilfotol works fine as an alternative, there are quite a few others too of course . . . Agepon, WAC, RWA, Mirasol and RA50 and that's just from a quick look at two online shops.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Kodak chemicals aren't made by Kodak anymore, so at best it's a marketing issue. Photoflo and Ilfotol
    seem identical anyway, or you could batch your own. I'd never dream of using a gardening product;
    it would be hard to know exactly what else is in it, even if you read the MSDS, which only needs to
    list hazardous ingredients which are non-trade-secret. The unavailablility of certain things in Australia seems to be totally unrelated to Kodak mfg itself - I've heard the same thing about HC110
    there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Has anyone tried using other sources of surfactants for film drying? I know dish detergent is frowned on,
    The active ingredient in Photo-Flo is Triton X-100. The following formula is similar to Photo-Flo.

Distilled water 600 ml
    Propylene glycol 250 ml
    Triton X-100 75 ml
    Water to make 1 l

This formula omits the antifoaming agent in Photo-Flo which can leave greasy spots on the film. It is also hard to obtain in small quantities.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm with Dan....I add about 4-5 drops per liter (much less than 1:1000) and a splash (a tablespoon maybe) of isopropyl alcohol. I went with a lower amount of photoflo because it tended to leave marks on my film in my water (Lake Michigan). Photoflo and alcohol act in different ways to change the surface tension. There are other surfactants like SDS or igepal but I figure that Kodak had smart chemists so I'll go with photoflo.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I reuse it until I've run enough rolls through it that it starts going pink. Though I can't imagine the alcohol in it at the 1:200 dilution not preventing mold growth. Though aren't you're only going to get mold if you have contamination to begin with.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin