Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,537   Posts: 1,572,749   Online: 783

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Weird Q: Photoflo?

Been using the same mix of Photo Flo for about 8 months, still soapy.
    Does this stuff ever 'wear out' ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    unless your was is100% good, it must accumulate fixer over time. don't use it beyond kodak's capacity recommendations. i mix it 1+1,000 with distilled water ,and it seems to last for a long time that way without leaving drying marks.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I didn't know that anyone reused this stuff.I use it "one shot" and I've had the same bottle for years,if I reused it it would last longer than plutonium.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It can last a long time, but then again, it's probably cheaper than the water you're mixing it in. I have had occasions where something precipitates out if it (fixer residue or stuff in the local water?) and I'll throw it out and mix new.

PS: I don't mix at 1:1000 like Ralph, but probably half the recommendation, about 1:400. Precision is not critical with this stuff.
    Last edited by David Brown; 10-08-2012 at 08:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have quite a lot of lime in my water supply, so I use it 1:200 in distilled water (mostly 120 Acros, Rollei or Foma). Not a trace of a spot on any of my negatives, so I won't reuse it. The fact that I load two 120 films on a spool helps with the economy of developing, but that's the only corner I'm willing to cut. (50% savings is a lot, anything else is just not worth it)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll reuse it for one session (usually 3 or 4 rolls of film) then dump it.

I mix it with an eyedropper. I have a spare film canister that I don't have a lid for. I fill that with clean water then drip in a few drops.
    I have occasionally forgotten to dump it out after I'm done and discovered it when I go looking for my spare to mix up a new batch. I have reused it with no problems.

The stuff is so cheap and you use so little of it per batch that you can just dump it out.
    I'd say it's worth it just to prevent the risk of cross contamination.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    It is alarming to think that it is expected to leave significant fixer in the film after washing - just a trace amount is supposed to be beneficial admittedly (no link, but I do recall something about that).

I have a rinse tank where I make up demineralised water and a tiny amount of Ilfotol (Ilford washaid) for each session. On the occasions when the tank has been left more than a couple of days it smells musty, though without visible growths in it. Mouldy film is not something I want so, after a day, I always use a fresh mixture. Possibly the Kodak product has some sort of anti-microbial stuff in it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i just finished a bottle a few months ago that was purchased in the 1980s ...
    i've never reused it, just a drop or 2 in whatever i have the film washing in
    i bought a bottle last year to replace it - silly me ..
    i think i will bequeath it to my kids when i die in 50 years ...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I learned to keep a small container of distilled water into which a capful of isopropyl alcohol and 1 drop of Photo Flo is added during each developing session immediately before giving negatives a final rinse. I keep it for quite some time, then dump and make up a new batch.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ezwriter View Post
    Been using the same mix of Photo Flo for about 8 months, still soapy.
    Does this stuff ever 'wear out' ??
    No, but it is a wonderful environment if you are trying to grow mould.

It is best to use it for no more than a day, then toss it.

In case it isn't obvious, don't mix up large quantities all at once.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin