Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,939   Online: 904

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Paper, I thnk I bought the wrong stuff need opinions on the paper...

Ok,

I am up and printing, plus my buddy who is a machinist came over and aligned the enlarger for me!!!

He is going to machine a few parts as a few were broke and I was not aware of it! But it is aligned and I am having a blast!!!!!

My printing stinks but I am rusty as heck...

Any hoot, I bought 50 sheet 11x14 and 100 sheets of Forte Polygrade VC FB paper but in a luster finish as I really do not like the glossy finish. But this is really a mat finish. It looks good but I am not too sure about it. Also it is a neutral tone and I really wanted a cool tone paper. How does this paper take to selenium toner to cool it down?

Also do you like this paper? Is this what most people use? I remember about 15 or so years ago their was a paper between the FB glossy and this stuff I just bought. Is all that is offered if the FB glossy and luster?

Once this paper is dry how does it look?

Well back into the darkroom. Had to take a break. Need to BURN and DODGE and BURN some more!!!

Man I love this stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I don’t have any tongs but who cares!! There is nothing like the smell of fixer on your hands! Oh how I missed it, I will order some in the next few days I am addicted!

Hi my name is Kev and I am a darkroom addict...

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I use the Polywamtone glossy FB, and its the paper I prefer for my images.

Selenium toning adds warmth shifting the image colour towards red.

If you want to get real cold charcoal blacks the choice of developer is critical.

Ian

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I am using the Agfa developer. I thought that Selenium cools things off?

Hmmmm....

What developer do you recommend?

Does anyone use the luster stuff?

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polygrade can certainly be made cooler. There are two developers that can do this namely Burki and Jenny Cold Tone Developer and Maxim Muir's Blue Black developer. I shall post the recipies in the recipe section. Poly grade tones to a aubergine colour in selenium. Try 1:19 for about 5 minutes at 25 deg C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kevin, sounds like you're having a good time now. Don't worry about the paper too much at this point as the learning curve will take care of it. Cool tone papers can be had in RC, but stick with the fiber and work on technique for a while. While I like cool tone paper for some things (machinery can be a good subject choice), I'm not overly fond of it for portraits, unless, of course, you like the cadaver look on your friends and family.

Just keep plugging away and you'll find what you need. As to finish, the fiber papers can't look too glossy unless they're baked on the griddle for a while. Next time try some smaller packs of paper until you find what you like. 10 sheet or 25 sheet packages might be easier at first for a starter. Get a few to try and see how it goes.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Correction, I have the semi-matte stuff. Does anyoen use this or do most people use the glossy?

Thanks,

Kev

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Polywarmtone also reacts enthusiastically to all toners - cold tone developer and gold toning gives almost blue, warm tone developer and gold toner makes VERY blue.

I prefer to use warmtone papers, I find them a lot more flexible than cold tone papers. Reproducibility is a different matter, but who cares? I'd rather get one wonderful print and 49 good ones, than 50 almost-greats.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin