Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,279   Online: 832

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Almost all my APX400 is expired from 2008 or 2011 and I've not had any fogging issues.
    What is your APX 400 base colour? My APX 400 base is grey. The negative looks dark, though when I look against the light everything is OK. My APX 100 is base is transparent clear, expiry date 2006 and younger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APX 400 in Rodinal 1+50 times

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    What is your APX 400 base colour? My APX 400 base is grey. The negative looks dark, though when I look against the light everything is OK. My APX 100 is base is transparent clear, expiry date 2006 and younger
    I used to get that base color too when I used the film. At first I thought it was insufficient fixing, but fresh fixer and several rolls later confirmed that the sort of milky base was a quality of the film.

I did get a couple of rolls back from a lab once, and they were absolutely clear, which baffled me. I asked them what they used, and it was a seasoned tank of Xtol, Kodak fix, and a second fixer of plain hypo.
    I was never able to replicate their results, but it doesn't really matter since you just print right through the base anyway.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    several rolls later confirmed that the sort of milky base was a quality of the film.
    Milky base (without pink cast) I get from Kodak TXP 320, my APX 400 base is not milky, it has pretty dark grey base. I have used rapid fixer, not fresh, but I made test before fixing and fixer was good + jobo cascade + ilford washaid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The dilution 1+50 means 1 part of developer mixed with 50 parts of water making a total of 51 parts. Don't you mean 1+49? A small point but newbies don't need to pick up bad terminology.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-13-2012 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Milky base (without pink cast) I get from Kodak TXP 320, my APX 400 base is not milky, it has pretty dark grey base. I have used rapid fixer, not fresh, but I made test before fixing and fixer was good + jobo cascade + ilford washaid
    I'm sure we're seeing the same thing, but calling it something different. It is safe to say that APX400 film base was not very clear.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APX 400 in Rodinal 1+50 times

I'll pull some neg pages and report back...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin