Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,425   Online: 812

Shooter
    35mm

PAPER and X-RAY Scanners. Chemistry and checked luggage. All-Things-Airport!

I'm about to go to the US and visit my brother. I've planned out on buying a stash of chemistry, paper and film and was wondering about the process of bringing it back to Brazil on a plane.
    Now I understand the problems with film and X-ray scanners (topic that has been extensively discussed here), but I'm curious about paper and x-ray scanners. I know paper is far less sensitive than film, however I will most probably be sending it in my checked luggage and wanted to know if anybody had any unhappy experiences?
    Also, I'm buying a couple of liters of fixer, paper and film developers, wetting agent, and possibly some selenium toner. Does anybody have any experience in checking those through at the airport? I have no intention of carrying this as carry-on (that would never work out). But are there any concerns or measures to be taken with closed bottles?
    R

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I fly with chemistry in my luggaage with no issues but that may vary in some countries.

The paper has to go hand lugge as X-rays will harm it.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    I'd recommend that your brother in the U.S. would check for you with the airline or at the airport security for possible restrictions of chemicals in the luggage. It would be useful to show them MSDS of the chemicals. Some hazardous materials are prohibited in aircraft by the IATA like poisonous or corrosive substances or mercury. Maybe you can check in the material the day before at a special counter and get it hand-controlled. You can even take a gun or the ammunition with you if you show them your legitimation and let it be packed in a sealed container, it is transported in the luggage bay of the plane.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't put any liquids (especially chemistry) in your luggage. The TSA would love to find a reason to call you a terrorist whether it says kodak all over it or not. Then when the bottles leak........
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are lots of rules concerning shipping liquids by air, mostly about "approved" leak proof shipping containers. There are a couple of threads here about it, and google will find more than you ever want to know about it.

Edit: That's the reason most liquid/corrosive chemicals can only be shipped by ocean freight.
    Bob

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I expect you will find no end of trouble if you try to ship even dry chemistry by air. If these items are difficult to obtain where you are, it will be worth your while to go ahead and ship from the U.S. once you make your purchases. But make it worth your effort and purchase enough for a year's usage. I don't know about paper in your luggage, but weight will be your enemy here. My experience with hand checked film has the TSA guy removing the foil package from around EVERY roll. I don't know how they will approach a box of paper. I wish the best of luck though, let us know how it goes for you.
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi! Thanks you all for the informative replays!
    I think what's easier is to list out everything and ask.. Do you guys know of any issues with the items I'm about to buy?
    And though I do understand the precautions around handling these chemicals, I don't quite understand how restrictive or hazardous are these chemicals as considered by authorities.

1 x Rollei/AGFA - Compard R09 One Shot Black and White Film Developer (500ml) Rodinal substitute.
    1 x Kodak - HC-110 Developer (Liquid) for Black & White Film (473ml 16oz)
    5 x Ilford - Microphen Developer (Powder) for Black & White Film - Makes 1 Liter
    1 x Ilford - Ilfotol Wetting Agent (Liquid) for Black & White Film & Paper - 1 liter
    1 x Ilford - Rapid Fixer (Liquid,1 Liter)
    2 x Ilford - Multigrade Developer (500ml)
    2 x Ilford - PQ Universal Paper Developer (500ml)
    1 x Ilford - Harman Selenium Toner - 1 Liter
    1 x Acufine - Diafine Developer A (Makes 1 Quart)

As for film:
    10 x Ilford - HP5 Plus 120 Black & White Negative (Print) Film (ISO-400)
    10 x Kodak - E100VS 120 Ektachrome Professional Color Slide (Transparency) Film
    10 x Ilford - Pan F Plus 120 Black & White Negative (Print) Film (ISO-50)
    10 x Ilford - Delta-3200 Professional 120 Black & White Negative (Print) Film

paper:
    1 x Ilford - Multigrade Art 300 Paper (11 x 14", 30 Sheets)

All item would be new a factory sealed.. Granted I'll be shooting some of the film during the trip itself
    Has anybody had any issues with any of these chemicals? Or is there any reason why I should concern my self when carrying these in my luggage?
    I planed on putting all of the bottles individually into ziplocked bags, just in case one of them spilt or leaked.
    I've brought dry chemicals (powder) over in my checked luggage before with no problems but I've never tried to bring liquid chemistry.
    Jochen's idea to contact the airline ahead of time and describe the products and see their restrictions seems wise. However, it's also been my experience that airline employees, when ill informed, tend to simply prohibit anything that they haven't heard before. I can't express how frustrating it is to be bullied into scanning $250 worth of film after being denied a hand, or otherwise special, inspection. Steve (scheimfluger_77) seems to have some stories of his own, and I'm sure we all have many more. (Possibly a funny thread here at Apug, Greatest airport horror stories involving analog photography gear! Haha!)

On the American Airlines site they don't list much detailed information on chemistry.
    There are flammable liquid restrictions.. and this:

Household Items
    Example:
    Bleach, spray starch, insecticides, drain cleaners and solvents as well as aerosols such as air fresheners, oven cleaners, bathroom cleaners etc.

Allowed For Travel?
    No

I don't think any of the chemicals I'm buying fit the bill for any of these examples..
    Any ideas or thoughts?

Rodrigo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some do fit, they are liquids, and corrosive ones at that.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Google the following words, iata rules shipping liquids

and read ALL the articles, inc the one that declares perfume a dangerous good.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've taken liquid developer in my luggage from the US to Canada. When home, I noticed that my suitcase was opened and inspected but everything was still there and ok. It's easy to find out which chemicals can be taken on the plane in your checked luggage. Check on the Freestyle website whether the substance is "ORMD - ground shipping only" or not. If it is NOT ORMD, then you can safely put it in your suitcase. I think that none on your list is ORMD. Don't put paper in your checked luggage, it will get fogged. There's a thread here somewhere about it where Ilford tried it out. Paper is safe in carry-on luggage, just like film.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin