Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,792   Online: 899

Shooter
    35mm

Kentmere ART classic

Hello, I have asked the guys at ag photograhic, who have always been very helpful! I thought I would ask here as well. I recently bought amid a large batch of paper a box of 2/3 full kentmere ART from a 100 sheet box in 8x10 size. All other papers aside all of which are superb, this paper has such a unique hand crafted arty look and it is stunning! However I came to find it was discontinued, Long ago!

Are there any equivalents from any other manufacturers? It's such an amazing paper, has just a hand crafted look I really want to see in some of my best shots, I am making a portfolio soon of all my shots. Love the base, whites and blacks, such a hand crafted rag-like appearance!

Any ideas on equivalents?

Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may want to try the Ilford Art 300.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Kentmere Art Classic was a series of papers that the old Kenrmere made. sadly the base for the art series became un availabe and they were in the process of trying to find a replacement when Harman took them over, and it has remained unavailable ever since, and it was very unique. I know of nothing else around that can match it, along with other Kentmere papers, such as the Fine print warm tone, which was coated on a mat stipple surface, and was better than the Ilford Warm tone
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Thats a shame Hope ilford ART 300 will have a similar quality, would it be worth giving that a go?

Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jm94 View Post
    Hello, I have asked the guys at ag photograhic, who have always been very helpful! I thought I would ask here as well. I recently bought amid a large batch of paper a box of 2/3 full kentmere ART from a 100 sheet box in 8x10 size. All other papers aside all of which are superb, this paper has such a unique hand crafted arty look and it is stunning! However I came to find it was discontinued, Long ago!

Are there any equivalents from any other manufacturers? It's such an amazing paper, has just a hand crafted look I really want to see in some of my best shots, I am making a portfolio soon of all my shots. Love the base, whites and blacks, such a hand crafted rag-like appearance!

Any ideas on equivalents?

Jacob
    Unfortunately, the ART CLASSIC and KENTONA papers had poor keeping properties. They were excellent when fresh.
    The papers you have bought are likely to have poor contrast even if you add more carbonate and benzotriazole to your developer.

I agree with eddie that Ilford Multigrade ART 300 would be your best option or one of the Foma Chamois surface papers.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Unfortunately, the ART CLASSIC and KENTONA papers had poor keeping properties. They were excellent when fresh.
    The papers you have bought are likely to have poor contrast even if you add more carbonate and benzotriazole to your developer.

I agree with eddie that Ilford Multigrade ART 300 would be your best option or one of the Foma Chamois surface papers.
    I don' tknow about the keeping qualities beeing bad... I have some papers still - and they work fine. The FINEST paper I have ever tried!

No modern paper recemble it - the old Foma Chamois came closer than others, but that's gone too....

Once in a while I see that paper on the bay, and IF I can afford it, I buy it!

Have fun with it!

(BTW My girlfriend tells me it is brilliant for lith printing too!!)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin