Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,365   Online: 845

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    You used two rolls of the finest film because deeeeep inside you really hate film.
    Aw come on, give the poor guy a break
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used black draught excluder strip to get rid of leaks around my door. It's a compressible rubber-like material tht is self-adhesive on one side. You stick it to the door so it compresses against the wall or floor when the door is closed. That may work better than tape.

Shooter
    35mm
    Whew. You really should have said 120 from the beginning.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are having difficulty getting the 120 film stared on the reel try this trick...

Here is a simple trick to getting the 120 started on the reel.
    It gives the stiffness and guide to get the roll started in to the flanges...

Cut a piece of the film box to be the same width as 120 film and about 2 or 3 inches long.

Before you go in the darkroom slide this piece of card along the reel tracks into the beginning of the reel but not past the little ball bearings. Now when in the darkroom take your film and slide it along the card until it is past the ball bearings and pull in a bit more then remove the card and load in the normal way. You see the card acts like a guide and makes those springy films easier to get started.

I most often reverse curl the first 1/2 inch or so of my film before loading to help with the springiness.
    I still have the same bit of card I cut out of a Fuji box a couple of years ago, I only replace it if it gets lost or too banged up.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I second the suggestion of using a changing bag. I've used one for years, you soon get used to it, and it's really the only guarantee of total darkness outside of a custom made darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format

You know you LOVE film when.....

I have to admit I cheat...

I bought one of those Modern Warfare 2 Infrared Goggles of the great auction in the sky. Not much more than a toy, but they do work. (As long as you are not playing with IR sensitive film.). Works well enough for loading film in the dark, without having to learn to do it by feel.)

Verified with family members that there is no light leakage around the eye pads of the goggles.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Could you not find some out-of-date cheap B&W?!

Good luck with the real thing!
    I see this about 120 film, deleting my comment about Kodak gold
    Last edited by David Goldstein; 10-13-2012 at 01:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    --
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format

You know you LOVE film when.....

Reala in 120 is actually very nice. Another tip is to bend the beginning edge backwards. It's easier to get started that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rolleiman View Post
    I second the suggestion of using a changing bag. I've used one for years, you soon get used to it, and it's really the only guarantee of total darkness outside of a custom made darkroom.
    To each their own, but I find changing bags very difficult to use.

In particular, I miss being able to hear the sounds that the film and the reel make when the film is being loaded.

Not too mention the increased heat and humidity.

I have light leaks around the doors in my bathroom/darkroom. I block most of them with towels or bathmats, load the film at night and develop the film later, when it is convenient.

Folding over the tape at the end of the film helps stiffen the edge, which makes it easier to load.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since finally getting darkroom in operation I did my first roll of 120. It took me close to 45 minutes before I got it on the reel. And 35mm is so much easier no having to use the changing bag.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin