Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,819   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You know you LOVE film when.....

...you feel just awful wasting some rolls practicing loading a developing tank.

This morning I practiced loading my Patterson reel for the first time. I burned up two rolls of Reala practicing in the dark (after a few times in light). At first it was really frustrating, but slowly I got the hang of it. It felt bad wiping out 2 rolls of perfectly good Reala but I had to practice.

I have to buy some tape to tape up my door. There is a tiny bit of light leak. Not enough to help me see anything but surely enough to cause trouble to film.

Then time to buy chemicals and containers! Getting closer to the time when I can develop my own film! (Fuji Acros, not Reala).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Could you not find some out-of-date cheap B&W?!

Good luck with the real thing!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I agree, you have to practice. There is only one thing more frustrating than wasting film and that's messing up a film with images on! I still find this the trickiest bit, especially with 120, but I'm getting more confident. One time I dropped the film in the darkroom, and it took me AGES to find it in the dark. It had managed to roll away much further than I expected! You can't tell anyone how to load reels - you just have to work it out for yourself - I bet we all have our own "system".

Shooter
    35mm
    You used Reala for practice? The world's best ever, no longer made, 35mm C-41 color print film? Irreplaceable, beloved Reala?

Are you insane? Heartless? I FEEL BAD and it wasn't even my film!

In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post

I have to buy some tape to tape up my door. There is a tiny bit of light leak. Not enough to help me see anything but surely enough to cause trouble to film.
    According to my experience, if you still can't see your hands in front of your face after 5 minutes in the darkroom (where you handle your film) it does not really matter if there is a tiny leak somewhere else in the room (Put your back to it if you can). Otherwise you could wait until it's dark outside. Taping up your door from the inside will get pretty annoying over time. If the leak is so big that taping it every time is the only option I would rather spend the money on a changing bag instead of multiple rolls of tape over the years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    ... I burned up two rolls of Reala practicing in the dark (after a few times in light).
    Wait, why TWO rolls? Why couldn't you just keep practicing with that first roll instead of ruining another good roll? I have a roll of cheap film that I use every time I want to give myself a refresher or to test a strip of it in my fixer. And pity to use something that is no longer made
    Aleksandra Miesak

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." - Dorothea Lange

Shooter
    35mm
    You used two rolls of the finest film because deeeeep inside you really hate film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    You used Reala for practice? The world's best ever, no longer made, 35mm C-41 color print film? Irreplaceable, beloved Reala?

Are you insane? Heartless? I FEEL BAD and it wasn't even my film!

I used Reala 120 which is still very much available. I have several rolls that went through an X Ray scanner and would rather have used these than fresh Acros which is what I will be developing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aleksmiesak View Post
    Wait, why TWO rolls? Why couldn't you just keep practicing with that first roll instead of ruining another good roll? I have a roll of cheap film that I use every time I want to give myself a refresher or to test a strip of it in my fixer. And pity to use something that is no longer made
    Reala 120 is still available. I used two rolls because I wanted to practice the entire process in the dark. The first roll I practiced in daylight. The second I did in total darkness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rhcgn View Post
    According to my experience, if you still can't see your hands in front of your face after 5 minutes in the darkroom (where you handle your film) it does not really matter if there is a tiny leak somewhere else in the room (Put your back to it if you can). Otherwise you could wait until it's dark outside. Taping up your door from the inside will get pretty annoying over time. If the leak is so big that taping it every time is the only option I would rather spend the money on a changing bag instead of multiple rolls of tape over the years.
    We'll see. I prefer not to use a bag if possible as I think it will be easier. But maybe you are right in the long term.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin