Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,707   Online: 769

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fuji HRT green sensitive film

I just shot some Fuji HRT X-ray film. I rated the film at ASA 200 and processed it in Xtol under a safelight. I have pretty good shadow detail, but the film isn't sharp as conventional film. I think the application for me is contact printing. The stuff is sure cheap.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    X-Ray film is super. The lack of sharpness may be from the lack of an AH layer and the double emulsion. X-Ray film is generally coated on both sides in order to reduce the exposure time for medical use.

I've gotten decent results making cyanotypes.

Does hours have a blue base?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I love it for portraits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I noticed that both sides have an emulsion. Fool proof film loading. Made some contact prints and its not bad. The film is sharp enough for contacts. Love souping the film under a safelight.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Developing film by inspection is a joy.

I used to cut the film up and tape it inside my Holga. Talk about the film not being sharp ...

I just built a 4x5 camera with foamcore board and a magnifying glass. I need to order some more X-Ray film, and I'm going to cut it down and throw it in there. Could be interesting to say the least.

Kodak [maybe] still makes red (almost panchromatic, actually) and Infrared-sensitive X-Ray films for digital printers. I really want to give those I try, if I can find somebody who actually sells the damned stuff ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard rumours of processing the film in a glass bottomed tray so as to not scratch the emulsion on the back side.

The other one was post processing trick
    Stick a wetted piece of flim side to a clean smooth surface, and roll it down to get rid of excess liquid
    Then with a wetted cottom swab and diluted ammonia, carefully wipe the emulsion off of the front side.
    This allegedly makes for a sharper image to work with, being only on one side with the image after this step.

I have a box of 100 Kodak 10x12 xray film bought for $1 at an auction, that I have played with once.
    I have not had the time to get back to fiddle with it more yet.

It is so slow I was not worried with it fogging if I don't get back to it for a few more years.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Mike.

Thanks for the tips. This probably will save me some grief. My test sheets have fine scratches on it and I didn't even touch the film while in the developer. Reminds me of the days of clearing Polaroid type 55. Handle the film with extreme care.

Best,
    Don
    Aaron Chang

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin