Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,556   Online: 970

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

A paper question.

Ok,

Do most people use semi-mat for glossy Fiber Base paper?

I bought the semi-mat stuff as I thought it was more of a luster finish. It is going to take some time getting use to and I am still undecided on it.

Where do you buy your paper?

Also is semi-mat the norm or glossy the norm? What do most of you use?

Thanks,

Kev

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ed Buffaloe has a good article on papers. I've never seen a history of photographic papers but I suspect the non-glossy varieties originated among the pictorialists. I prefer glossy - it seems more like a photograph.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I prefer air-dried glossy FB for most things due to the increased visual contrast. I might even try the waxing technique discussed in another thread.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Thank you for the link. THat was really excellent information. Very helpful and useful. I bookmarked that one.

Kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not a gerat fan of semi-matte or matte, reserving them primarily for high key portraiture etc. For landscapes, I would not use it at all, though I do test print on it once in a while to make sure I am not missing something. Air dried, glossy FB for me.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love the depth of gloss and i dont like matt at all

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Ed Buffaloe has a good article on papers. I've never seen a history of photographic papers but I suspect the non-glossy varieties originated among the pictorialists. I prefer glossy - it seems more like a photograph.
    There's an article on old papers at the Silverprint site: http://www.silverprint.co.uk/info/yespap.html

Their article on the history of Ilford may have something relevant to the historian... you can download the PDF from their News section.

Kev: I think it is fair to say that most people use unglazed Glossy fibre paper: I do. I tried matt finish a couple of times and could not get the hang of it (though the Alternative Processing people seem to manage it nicely!). Semi-matt & Pearl etc seems neither one nor t'other to me and I don't like the texture.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contrary to other opinions thus far, I prefer semi-gloss, semi-matte and matte finishes on fiber paper. In my opinion, an air-dried glossy surface is okay but not my favorite. One of the nicest paper surfaces I've used is Bergger's semi-gloss on their VCCB papers. To my eyes, it looks like air-dried glossy should look but doesn't.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin