Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,827   Online: 886

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I also use Barry Thornton's Two-Bath developer because it gives me the results I want.

Every image on my website was shot using a Mamiya 7 with 65mm lens, Delta 400 in Two-Bath developer.

I would highly recommend Thornton's brew unless you tend to shoot in flat light. It is also foolproof for night photography.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their replies and input, all intersting.

I was intrigued by the reported capabilities of a 2 bath system for coping with fairly mixed lighting on a roll of film and what appears to be a different way of handling/dealing with low/high contrast lighting than the zone system route. I get (for me) very good results with ID11 dilute 1:1 and the zone system especially where I can control the lighting/contrast e.g. studio style but occasionally when "out & about" it can be difficult to match varying lighting situations to the chosen +1/N/-1 dev pattern for the loaded film - only so many film backs! Any speed gains were less of a primary concern.
    Seems like it might be worth trying out one of these 2 bath systems, just to see what happens and perhaps have another route to follow, in certain circumstances!
    More suggestions welcomed.
    Yes the zone system and 2 bath developer. Many people seem to think they do not go hand in hand. As if one does not allow the other. I have never used Diafine, and what I always read it is as if this developer can do nothing wrong since the development times and temperature does not seem to be so critical.. I wonder if it does anything right.
    With Emofin you can change the development times to decrease or increase contrast. It does help in difficult lighting situations but I would think it is not such a do it right first time developer as Diafine. ( Do not know how to formulate it otherwise late at night)

Shooter
    Multi Format

2 bath film developers?

Diafine pretty much does what it does, consistently. Whether that is right or not depends on whether it's what you want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hallo again,
    Been having a wander around the supplied links (thanks) - all rather interesting. What I have seen is that both developer parts are reused without any mention of replenishment, there must be a finite amount of film that can be put through each part but there is no mention of capacity. The only thing I have seen was (I think) about Barry Thornton's recipe where it was mentioned to top-up part B after about 15 rolls. I may be betraying my understanding here but not sure how the chemicals do not get exhausted.

Any experiences on capacity or topping-up?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tetenal says you can develope 15 films in Emofin, unless you push your films then less.

Shooter
    35mm
    Never tried Diafine, partly because I habitually shoot at box speed, and would mess up if I had some rolls that had to be shot with underexposure.

I did buy a box of it, and read the instructions. Apparently the way it works is that the developing agents are in the first bath, and the activator is in the second. You will lose some of the first by carry out and you are to top up BOTH baths, discarding enough of the bath B so that you can put the same amount on both. No mater how much film you put through the first bath it does not develop there so the developing agents are not used there.

All in all interesting, I wonder if there is any easy to get set-up that gives good results at box speed. With the trouble buying raw chemicals I don't want to go back to mixing stuff from scratch.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    With Thornton's two-bath, I use part A for 30 rolls always make 10% more than you need for your tank as, over time there is a slight bit of carry over from bath A to bath B) and mix up two lots of part B and use them each for 15 rolls.

It probably could do a lot more but it is so simple and cheap to make so I have never risked more (taking chances with developing films is a false economy).

There are many other two-bath formulas (such as the one my father developed in the late 1970s and which was capable of 100s of rolls during his workshops) where you replenish part B and these last practically for ever. I switched to Thornton's a couple of years ago because tests showed me that it gave results that better suited my paper (Adox Fine Print Vario Classic) and developer (Dokumol 1 + 6) combination. Now that the Adox is out of production, I am currently testing Foma and Kentmere papers with well know negatives (developed in both my father's two-bath and Thornton's). The best final match will determine which two-bath I will use in the future.

What is clear is that I will continue using a two-bath developer for my films as it allows me to expose for the shadow value that I want (early morning light is pretty contrasty here in Berlin at the moment) with no concern about the highlights blowing out.

Best,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have also used Barry Thorntons 2 bath with success. In his book edge of darkness Barry suggested three different strengths of solution B for varying light conditions viz: -

For high SBR 7g of Sodium Metaborate per litre of water
    For average SBR 12g of Sodium Metaborate per litre of water
    For low SBR 20g of Sodium Metaborate per litre of water.

Shooter
    Multi Format

2 bath film developers?

With Diafine I never bothered with the top off A and discard B. I just pour it back in the bottles and keep re-using. Capacity is about 60 rolls of 35mm per quart, really! But I play it safe and dump after about 50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find that general solution loss out-paces exhaustion with Thornton's recipe. But I'm using a Jobo with Lift for roll film and 5x4, and that seems to keep more residual solution in the tank and pipes than a hand-stack. I am just happy that I have a developer I can have around that is not subject to supply variables. It may not be the optimum developer for all occasions, but for N. California (38 degrees N.) it seems to meet my general needs.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin