Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,698   Online: 1038

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

45 seconds at 45 degrees -- so crazy it just might work?

On another forum, I recently read a thread about people trying to emulate the "Daido Moriyama look" -- high contrast, hyper grain, etc.

Now, issues of appropriation aside, I'm curious about screwing around with this concept a bit...just to see what comes out. One of my favorite photo books is by William Klein whose work from the 1950's in NYC also has this hyperkinetic, slightly crazed feel to it. Think of it as trying a bit of freeform jazz instead of classical music, in terms of developing film.

Anyway, one poster mentioned developing 400 B&W film for 45 seconds at 45 degrees, in Rodinal. Didn't say what dilution but they said they graded their film at 5000!

I tried this and it was a flop. Negs so thin as to be almost invisible...but I like the idea of harsh grain, etc. for the overall 'feel'.

Has anyone tried this, or something like it? High temperature, short times? Crazy grain, wacky contrast?
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Has anyone tried this, or something like it? High temperature, short times? Crazy grain, wacky contrast?
    I'd suggest high temperature together with a longer time for 1+25, but I'm sure you know you can use Rodinal also at 1+10. Don't be afraid to experiment and increase your development time considerably. Doing it with an energetic print developer will help, too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Anyway, one poster mentioned developing 400 B&W film for 45 seconds at 45 degrees, in Rodinal.
    Fahrenheit or Celsius ?

If the latter, I would have expected the emulsion to start melting before it had a chance to develop.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could try print-developer, maybe at a stronger dilution than normal and/or warmer (all the chemicals, not just the dev). The shooting of a sample scene at different EI's on the test film is a good one and, of course, keep notes. You never know what effect you might find that is no use now, but which you might really like for another purpose.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks all! Forgot about the Dektol option...I'll keep all posted.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin