Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,064   Online: 911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

fomapan/arista.edu status

What is the status on the QC issues? Sorry if this is a repeated thread but some people have had success with this film and others have not. I have also read that they were working on some QC issues in the past so I'm not sure if these have been resolved.

I'm particularly interested in the 100 film for 35mm and 120. But I would also like to hear about the QC issues of the 200/400 for 35mm and 120. I'm not sure if there are issues with the entire lines of films or just certain formats/film speeds. Also which films have the blue fog base?

Any elaboration would be great. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just bought some Fomapan 100 in 120 size from Freestyle a couple weeks ago, and I shot two rolls last week. One roll had no QC problems, the other had a little clear spot in the emulsion that showed in the sky on one frame out of the 12 on the roll. I scan my negs, so it was easy to spot out in Photoshop, but if I were wet-printing it would have ruined the image. I bought six rolls of it to try, so I can't say much more without shooting some more. I developed it in PMK and also shot some Ilford FP-4 in 120 that I developed in PMK to compare.

The Foma uses a clear base now, they've dropped the blue base from the 120 films. It is thinner than the base Ilford uses for 120 size FP-4, and much thinner than the thick base Kodak uses for the 120 size Tmax films. The Foma curled a lot, making it a pain to slide into print-file pages, and a pain to get into my scanner's neg carrier (I imagine it would be a pain to get into an enlarger's carrier too). A week or so under a pile of books cures it, but the Ilford film was flat from the beginning.

I liked the tonality of the Foma, but it is not as fast as the Ilford. In PMK, its about a 50 speed film. Grain and sharpness similar to FP-4 (but FP-4 works at EI-80 in PMK).

Here's a couple of photos from the Fomapan 100 in PMK.

These are my first test of the film in the developer, and the negs were a little thin. Editing them to adjust contrast made them look ok, but I think I'll develop slightly longer next time.

Overall, I think that if you can afford it, Ilford is probably a better choice because of the higher QC, thicker base, lack of curl, and higher real speed. Especially if you are printing in the darkroom. If you're scanning like I do, the minor QC issues I saw are easily fixable in Photoshop, but would be a pain in the darkroom. If money is an issue, then the Foma does make beautiful images.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi Chris, just to make things clear. You recent 120 Foma was on clear, curly base?? I bought 10-120 rolls in June from FreeStyle and it was on bluish, thick, very Xray film looking base. Also, in the last year I used 2 or 3-100" rolls of Foma 100 and Arista 100 EDU with no QC issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot over a dozen rolls of Arista EDU 100 and 400 in35mm and 120 format this summer with no QC issues. It's great film.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Hi Chris, just to make things clear. You recent 120 Foma was on clear, curly base?? I bought 10-120 rolls in June from FreeStyle and it was on bluish, thick, very Xray film looking base. Also, in the last year I used 2 or 3-100" rolls of Foma 100 and Arista 100 EDU with no QC issues.
    Yes, they were clear and the film curls when dry.

I shot a few 120 size rolls of this film maybe 4 yrs ago in both the 100 and 400 speeds, and it was on the blue base back then, but I had not bought any since then until these new rolls that I got from Freestyle a couple weeks ago. Another interesting thing. The new rolls I bought were Foma, not the Freestyle "Arista.EDU Ultra" brand, which is the Foma film in Freestyle's box. Despite being the Foma branded version, they said Ultra 100 on the developed film edges!
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I saw a thread not too long ago about "holes" in the emulsion on Arista. EDU and have had a few myself. The recomended fix was to cut the stop bath strength in half or use water. Haven't tryed it myself yet but will do on the next roll.

Shooter
    35mm
    With the latest batch, there shouldn't be any problems. They changed the base to a clear film as it was indicated above and also are monitoring more closely the quality.
    Foma is a great film.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1 MD, OM-1N, OM-2N, OM-2SP, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons
    Ferrania backer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using Arista EDU Ultra 100 for at least 3 years now in 4x5, 120 and 35mm. I develop in either Arista Premium or in Rodianl and I have always used plain water for a stop. I have never experienced any spots or holes in the emulsions of my negatives.

Efke 25, as well as Arista EDU Ultra 100 and 400 have been my mainstay black and white films since 2010. This year I have started experimenting with some Tri-X and Arista Premium, but the majority is still Arista EDU Ultra since it is inexpensive and does the job for me. I haven't noticed any emulsion or backing changes but I am still working on older stock rotated out of the freezer.

BTW, I notice that Freestyle has been out, or low, on Arista EDU stock for a bit. They have indicated an expected delivery in November. I certainly hope that everything is still good at the Foma plant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

fomapan/arista.edu status

Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    Yes, they were clear and the film curls when dry.
    There was a recent thread about the change to a clear base. Part of an improved quality effort I think.

Search a bit and you should find it.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    There was a recent thread about the change to a clear base. Part of an improved quality effort I think.

Search a bit and you should find it.
    I've seen the thread. I mentioned my film having the new base because someone asked me if it did.
    Chris Crawford

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin