Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,991   Posts: 1,524,220   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

What was the last Kodak Dataguide?

Got one on ebay from like 1990? Anyone know the last one made? prob not printed anymore i assume...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And 2- How do you get all the Kodak pubs? Are they all just pdfs on their site now?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few weeks ago I bought one from Amazon. It's a Kodak Darkroom Data Guide, 6th edition, dated 2001. Not sure if it's the last one published. Sadly, most of the films it lists are no longer made. Still a lot of good info though.
    For the Kodak pubs I print out the ones that interest me and put them in a binder for reference in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought one off this Forum last year I think porinted around 2001. Most data these days is online in PDF form, it can be difficult navigating Kodaks website.

In practice I find many of the older Data-books far more interesting and useful and have a boxed set of 4 from the 1940's, they also vary depending on where they were published. There were products made in Europe that were not sold in the US market and slightly different approaches to developers. Films also differed slightly so there was data for Canadian, British and US versions of Tri-X which were made & coated at separate plants. Tri-X also used to be coated in Hungary as well just before WWII - don't believe Kodak's recent hype7 or 8 years ago about it being 50 yeras old, that was only in small formats.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Since there is interest I'll be posting a classified ad on APUG later today for my extra spiral bound Kodak Darkroom and Professional Data Guides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think my Dad bought all the guides Kodak put out. Of course that ended nearly 20 years ago, so no new ones since that. That, thought, is something Kodak did that none of the other companies did. You could access so much information. I miss that from Kodak.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The last new Darkroom Guide that I saw had a white cover if that is any help.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A stand-out publication is the Kodak Professional Photoguide. I have the 5th ed. (1995) in the spiral bound (and more expensive version). It has an incredible amount of information crammed into 56 pages (6 x 8-1/2), including a gray card. One of the most useful pages discusses stop-action shutter speeds with a formula and a detailed table that takes into account the subject's speed (with lots of typical subjects), distance from the camera and direction (angle) of subject motion.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
    Of course that ended nearly 20 years ago, so no new ones since that. That, thought, is something Kodak did that none of the other companies did. You could access so much information. I miss that from Kodak.
    I have a BLUE Illford Databook, a loose leaf binder with datasheets on all the Ilford products at that time. Even the CINE films. Mind you it may have been made up by the Canadian Distributor.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just about every Kodak Dataguide published. Some were released as late as 2002, but the more recent ones were not printed by EK. They outsourced them to Silver Pixel Press. Dataguides ranged from UV and IR photography for Forensic use to Photogravure. I have about 10 ring bound books full of Dataguides covering these and more such as Wratten Filters.

Many include How To books that show how to use lighting for best effect and how to take closeups or 3D photos. Very nice stuff.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin