Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,109   Online: 937

Shooter
    Medium Format

Undeveloped 4x5 Edges?

I am relatively new to 4x5 development....a "veteran" of the darkroom, however. I am using a Jobo CPE2Plus and the 2509 reels in the 2553 tank.

I use Tmax RS mostly and periodically I have little purple or blue "undeveloped" edges on my film. The image is beautifully developed and the edge markings are nice and dark, but on the long edges of the sheets the emulsion hasn't completely cleared.

What should I do to avoid this?

Thanks experts!!
    Charles R. Lawson, CPP, AFP
    PPA Certified Professional Photographer
    The Highlander Studios
    804-436-9999
    charles@quantum-imaging.com
    www.thehighlanderstudios.com
    www.facebook.com/highlanderstudios
    www.flickr.com/charleslawson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds to me like fixer isn't getting to those "undeveloped" edges. You can get rid of them by re-fixing the negatives - in room light and small trays should be fine.

It may be that developer isn't getting there either, but given their location, it probably doesn't matter.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You sometimes get that with roll film, too. It happens when the film presses hard up against the guides in the tank, and the processing chemicals can't get to it. Sheet film is thicker, so it may be more likely with the 2509 tank, although I haven't seen it so far. It shouldn't extend into the image area. (If it does, it's some other problem.) I should be harmless, but you can refix in a tray, as recommended above, if it bothers you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you load the 2509 reels with the emulsion out, by any chance?
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamp View Post
    Do you load the 2509 reels with the emulsion out, by any chance?
    This is probably 'it'. The sheet springs outwards in the track, so load it with the emulsion side concave.

You can put the dry-but-imperfect sheets back in the tank, emulsion side inwards, and refix/rewash as you will probably find it more convenient (and with less risk of damage when you haven't done this before) than using trays.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin