Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,118   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B&W Slides

Shooter
    35mm

B&W Slides

I have seen reference to this before but cannot find a thread that connects, so if you have given the information before, I'm sorry to ask it again.

I want to start processing B&W film to make transparencies, so which film would you use to give the clearest tint free base? Are there any commercial kits available that I can buy (in UK) to get me started?

Thanks in anticipation.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just recently a film on clear, colourless base, which in addition can provide a high density-range as slide-film has been released as type 135: Adox Silvermax. As far as I know no data has been released yet.

There is a reversal kit from Foma available.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-23-2012 at 05:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look here for Foma reversal B&W film. http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/foma-film-12-c.asp

Ag Photographic also sell Rollei film which is made on a clear (non-acetate) base.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Do a search to see previous APUG threads on reverse processing, lots of useful info.

Also, if you fancy lab processed rather than home processed, I'd recommend dr5 in the US, I've been using them for years and am very happy with quality + service - I send them over in bulk batches several times a year from UK to help with postage costs. Have a look in my APUG gallery for some samples.

Hope this helps.

Edit: just noticed you are not a subscriber so cannot view gallery. Here's an attachment of a dr5 reverse processed Ilford Delta 100 transparency for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apug_knockan.jpg  
    Last edited by coigach; 10-23-2012 at 08:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The www.dr5.com web site has information (DMAX) about various films, even if you process at home.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilford FP4 is a good choice. Processing details here: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...1220441194.pdf

Shooter
    35mm
    I have just found a PDF file from Ilford giving development times and chemicals needed for processing B&W slides. They suggest Pan F and this is what they base their times on. However the chemicals needed for the bleaching stage requires Sulphuric Acid. Now that is pretty savage stuff and I am not sure I would be happy using it.

There is a proprietary kit made by FOMA and is 'occasionally' available in the UK but it is very expensive (The words of a supplier) They are not the best company to deal with when fulfilling orders so he told me. I will give this a bit of thought. It is the acid that puts me off.

I have some which I did myself perhaps 35-40 years ago then sepia toned them. They are mounted in glass and are as good as the day they were made. I just wanted to reproduce modern subjects the same way.

I researched developing B&W slides earlier this year and experimented finding a formula and chemicals I could get hold of but don't have facilities at the moment. Some of the chemicals I had to get fron eBay suppliers. There are a ton of threads on this site and others that give a lot of practical information and experience on the process, just use the search facility.

The Foma kit is available here but is produced for the Foma R100 film and you would have to do trials if you wanted to use other films. I noticed recently that AG Photographic appear to have priced the Foma kit at nearly double its usual price but Silverprint had it listed at around £30 something the last time I looked. I am guessing AGs pricing is a mistake. Either way it works out quite expensive.

Others here have mentioned dr5 but I could recommend Photostudio13 in Germany who process a number of mainly Rollei marketed films. They are cheaper, the service and quality is very good and more convenient for UK based users.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any B/W bleach requires acid of some sort, AFAIK. If you can't get concentrated sulphuric acid just use regular battery acid from an auto supply store. About 220ml or 7.5 U.S. ounces per gallon is sufficient to make the Ilford Part B bleach.
    Also, cut the permaganate in half in Part A if you are trying to reverse an old school emulsion like Efke or Adox. Full strength will literally turn the emulsion into jelly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilford XP2 Super can be processed in E-6 chemicals to give a dye-image black and white tranny; IIRC you need to expose it at 50 ASA. I don't know how dense the base tint is; I did this with XP1 back in the day, and obtained reasonable results. YMMV.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin