Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,513   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

HP5+ overexposed by mistake

I made a mistake choosing my Hasselblad roll back, I picked one with HP5+ loaded thinking that it was PANF+, I shoot it as a 50 asa film, so it's like 4 stops overexposed. Any suggestions how to develop it?. I use D76 1+1 for the HP5. Should I use more dilution?, less time?, both?, try another developer?... of course, I'll try to shoot the hole thing again with the correct exposure, but I don't want to give up with the one I already made. May be is the time for me to confirm if the David Vestal's moto "expose enough and do not develop too much" is true .
    Jose A. Martinez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats 3 stops over exposed.. Cut the developing time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as you don't develop for too long you should be absolutely fine. If it were me I would most likely reduce development about 40% or so.

If the roll has important shots on it, shoot another roll at 50 and try it first, and adjust as necessary.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I rate mine at no more than 200, sometimes 100, so you're not 4 stops overexposed. Do you know anyone who's experienced at development by inspection? You don't want to blow highlights with HP5+. They can block pretty badly.
    Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Depending on how much trouble you want to go to, Ilford Perceptol (like Kodak Microdol-X) reduces the speed somewhat. Depending on your metering technique and the subject matter, you might not have overexposed as much as you think. I would reduce the dev time a bit. Maybe 40% less is too much of a reduction. I'm guessing here.

If it was a highly contrasty scene, you might have exposed just about right.

I normally rate 400 speed films at 200 and use a generous exposure as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose A Martinez View Post
    so it's like 4 stops overexposed
    What does like four stops mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim17x View Post
    Thats 3 stops over exposed..
    Oh, I see!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a snip test first before processing the whole roll?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd develop it in rodinal 1/50, you lose around 1 1/2 stops in Rodinal so you might get slightly heavy negs but they should print fine

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    rodinal 1/50, you lose around 1 1/2 stops in Rodinal
    Is that really exactly what you meant to say ??? There seems to be a very small loss, less than half a stop, but maybe I use a very long time for developing. I only use Rodinal for APX though, so maybe every other film has a secret slow-down.

For the OP, I'd suggest trying a slow developer (eg. Perceptol) and pull slightly, or use your normal dev and pull quite a bit. Three stops is two stops more than 'doing nothing and getting nice shadows' after all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find that with HP5 in Rodinal, either 1/50 or 1/25 it loses a lot of speed, it is only with Ilford film I have this problem, using Kodak or Foma I lose about 1/3 of a stop, I don't know why, but with Ilford I only get around 320 even in D76, that goes for all Ilford film, Quality is fine but it seems to lose a lot for me, but it is a few years now since I have used any Ilford, prefering Kodak Tri x or Fomapan 400
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin