Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,670   Online: 1167

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question about Elon, Hydroquinone

I have some fairly old chemicals that I plan to use crafting my own developers, etc. Most are over 25 years and a few older than that. I have the following:

1 lb Kodak Elon, This is supposed to be white but is a bit tan Looks like an old Powder chemistry
    1 lb Kodak Hydroquinone it is about the same age as the Elon but is snow white and I suspect is good.
    1 lb Potassium Bromide that is one solid lump but I think it can be broken up into crystals again.
    1/2 lb Sodium sulfite, seems OK
    3/4 lb Sodium Carbonate a large lump but it too can be broken up for use.
    3/4 lb Kodalk free flowing
    3/4 lb Borax that needs to broken up.
    a small container of Phenidone.

I really suspect that the Elon(metol) is beat, but it may work. I will try it out to see how bad it is with a roll of non-critical film. The only reason that I would like to use the Elon is that Metol prices have gone through the roof.

Does anyone have experience using old chemicals for photographic purposes?

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My elon works and it is off-color slightly grey, and has about 25 years on yours. Conditions of storage heat, light, etc. and container (Kodak brown chemical jar) are the important factors. Most of the rest of my stock is similar in vintage to yours.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    35mm
    Elon or as you also say Metol is naturally 'off white' and your description of being light brown is correct. Powdered chemicals do not normally 'go off' so long as they are kept dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First answer here... Hello from brazil

To test it, mix some d23. I suggest a quantity to get half tank, lets say 250 or 300ml and use it 1+1. As long as I remember its 100g of sodium sulfide and 7g of metol for 1L of solution. It's said that lower quantities of metol workk just the same wa, lets say 3g.

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mixed up some Thornton's Two bath with the Elon and it seems to work just fine and I will assume that even though the Metol that I have is slightly discolored (Tan) is still good.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question about Elon, Hydroquinone

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    I mixed up some Thornton's Two bath with the Elon and it seems to work just fine and I will assume that even though the Metol that I have is slightly discolored (Tan) is still good.
    Nice! Have about 200g of metol here, should last 10yr or more...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    35mm
    Robert, in 1972 I bought a pound of Metol in New York for $29. it is still good. I store it in a glass bottle. It is a little darker but still just as good. - David Lyga

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin