Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,664   Online: 798

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Do Zone System equal the different developers characters

I bought an Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/16 camera and I will develop Tri X film at home and than scan them. I tried to look for different developer use negative scan galleries and I found that XTOL gives the most shadow details and its curve is S shaped , most contrast goes to midtones.I looked to HC110 B and its curve is U shaped and most contrast goes to highlights.

If I calibrate the development times and exposure details of film, temperature and agitation , Do zone system equals these two developers ?

Thank you,

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Zone system was developed to match negatives to photographic printing paper. If you are scanning, then you will have to come up with some system on your own

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am not fan of photo editing , whatever I do , software makes it worse than the original scan. My photographic paper is monitor , may be I can return to my older ideas and develop bw film to positive and tone with palladium and attach to a wall light glass apparatus. I am thinking to do that with 6x17 anamorphic pinhole camera negatives and now its time to make a camera like f295 cameras because I will start to buy these films.

My question , we have one camera , two rolls of tri x and same photograph on these films. We applied zone system for two different developers for printing papers , is it possible to get same prints ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is densitometry/sensitometry and the Zone System is nothing more than simplified applied densitometry. By altering exposure, developer dilution, development time, agitation etc you could eventually get the characteristic curves to be closer in shape (after a lot of testing). However the other image characteristics such as graininess and sharpness would still be different.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Michael , Can we change the curve of a developer with using for example D23 or simpler developer. I think playing with agitation, heat, dilution is much simpler than playing with chemicals. I think with few integridient developer , and making recipes for different curves is like making a HiWatt Amp without soldering but hand bending the cables.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Changing dilution, development time and agitation can alter the curve shape with any developer regardless of how simple or complex the formula is. Just be aware these variables also change graininess and sharpness.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin