Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,724   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Developing FAQ, where is it?

Some member here has in their sig file an awesome set of FAQ's withe regards to developing. I cant believe that is not a sticky here. Can someone point me to that person's sig file? I lost it yet again.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I generally just head to Digitaltruth.com, but that's just me. I need a t-shirt that says, "I (heart) the Massive Dev Chart".
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Maybe try polyglot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Caulfield View Post
    Maybe try polyglot?
    Yep, that's what I am looking for. Really, his FAQ's should be a sticky here. How this is not the case is really impossible to understand.

Thank you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    that's me! Sig below...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    that's me! Sig below...

Yep, others helped me find you.

In your FAQ, you dont mention starting off with just adding heated water to the tank. I thought pre-wetting the film helped control temperature as well as help the developer contact the expanded film. Not as common as I thought?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Are we talking B&W or colour development here? Most people don't pre-wash B&W film at all, in fact some are vehement that it is a bad idea. Efke recommends it, but the big brands (Fuji, Kodak, Ilford) don't.

My FAQ recommends a pre-wash at process-temp for C41 and E6 since they're pretty temp-sensitive and a tank full of film and spirals will almost always be notably colder (probably 12-20C) than process-temp without a pre-wash, so the error in operating temperature could be significant. B&W is so close to most people's room temp (probably within 3C) that the operating-temp errors are smaller and it's also easy to correct minor contrast variations in printing B&W.

A pre-wash will change your developer activity (in a film-dependent way) slightly due to swelling of the emulsion. If you're tuning your development results for a particular contrast, you need to be consistent about always doing or not doing a pre-wash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for your explanation. I am referring to b & w film. No prewash it is then!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Thank you for your explanation. I am referring to b & w film. No prewash it is then!
    FWIW, although it isn't specifically recommended by some of the manufacturers, many of us do pre-wet our B & W film.

It is a great source of argument here on APUG.

I do it because I feel it helps ensure more even development and consistency.

Most importantly, you must ensure that if you are going to do it, you should do it in the same way, each time.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Indeed, there are many excellent arguments for pre-washing B&W. You won't get dribbles across the film when using a wet tank for one thing!

For some reason it is contentious though I don't think I've ever seen a good argument against it, let alone a demonstrably poorer result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin