Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,772   Online: 827

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a diafine freak. Loved it for years, never had a bad experience with it. Just remember to go full term with each solution. I think the instructions say a min of 3 minutes each (A&B) I usually go 4 minutes, it gives me fine results.

From 35mm to 4x5, I use it more often than any other developer. Just renewed my 1 gal suppliy after 1.5 years. I bet it could go longer but for 5 months it sat idle as I had other high priorities with my mom and dad's health.

Running two rolls of TX100 tonight in 120 format. Shot at box speed.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Get the liquid odorless fixer from Freestyle.

Arista or Clayton, they are the same.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm working from memory here, so correct me if I am wrong.

When I last used Diafine regularly, it was true that it was tolerant of higher temperatures, and temperature changes weren't all that important, provided that you were using it at a minimum of about 68F. It did not respond well to lower temperatures.

And as for fixer, the shorter times that rapid fixers allow are definitely more convenient.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Get the liquid odorless fixer from Freestyle.

Arista or Clayton, they are the same.
    Bill, is there some advantage to this fixer with diafine, or are you just recommending it in general because it's odorless? I'm about due to buy more... have been using Ilford rapid for both paper and film, but I'm a beginner and like to learn...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    In addition to echoing what others have said, I'd just like to point out that Diafine works and plays *really* well with HP5 (EI 800 in my experience). Lots of detail pops out of the shadows, and the shoulder produces nice natural-looking highlights. It works really well for street shooting at night.

Tri-X in Diafine has a look all its own---one of those "when it's what you want, it's what you want" things. The instructions say EI 1600, but a lot of people prefer it at 1250. You wouldn't think 1/3 of a stop would make that much difference, but it does.

-NT
    1600 works fine with daylight, where you probably don't need 1600 anyway. Under tungsten light 1000 is more realistic with Diafine and Tri-X. 1250 is a decent set and forget compromise.

As others said, it doesn't matter that some A is carried over into B. Just avoid the reverse and don't get any B into the A. This will not happen in normal use, just be sure not to do it mistakenly.

You don't really need to do the "replenishment" thing anyway with Diafine. That's more for a situation where you have a deep tank you keep full. As you use it, dry film will deplete the volume of A solution. I've been happily just pouring it back into a bottle (one bottle each for A and B) and using what I have, for decades. That is, I've been doing this for decades, not with the same Diafine though. It does last a very long time but it will eventually become less active. I used to get about 50-60 rolls of 35mm through a quart. I've been using my current gallon for nearly two years now and it still works fine, but I haven't put that much film through it. I now use it mainly for 35mm Tri-X and 120 Pan F+, occasionally 120 Tri-X when I need the speed but don't need Delta 3200, and mostly use other developers for other needs.

Quarts versus gallons - for most people a quart is fine, but for a while there the gallon size from Freestyle was the same price as quarts elsewhere. Freestyle has gone up while others haven't increased as much so this is no longer true. But it's still cheaper per ounce in gallons, as most things are. Since I've been meaning to use it in my deep tanks with hangers for 4x5, which need 1/2 gallon of solution, it's just as well but if you are only doing roll film or sheets in trays a quart is fine, and plenty to see if you like it.

Fixer - well I prefer rapid fixer for the time savings, the easy mixing, and for the fact I can leave out the hardner, which impedes washing. (If you have pretty warm tap water there in Australia though you should probably use the hardener for film.) I never use hardener for paper, so this lets me use one jug of rapid fix to mix both. But since you are shipping from the US to Australia liquids are going to cost a lot more if they can be shipped at all. Regular powdered fixer like Kodak Fixer or the like will be fine.

Do not use a stop bath with Diafine. I've never actually tried using it since the manufacturer advises against it, so I'm not sure it would cause any problem, but it's definitely not needed. Just rinse in water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APUG is awesome. What an incredible wealth of information. I'm looking forward to trying it. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    I hope you don't mind me putting it here but I have a simple diafine question too.

Why would you buy a gallon instead of a quart size? If you buy the gallon size, can you store the powder and mix new from it? That would make sense. But if it lasts as long as people say, I don't see why you'd want a gallon of liquid unless you were using really big tanks.
    Diafine can last years in glass bottles. Seriously. I'd buy the gallon before the quart because the savings is monumental.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right now at adorama: $21 for quart size, $35 for gallon. So the gallon gives you 4 times as much for less than twice the price. I agree the savings is big. However, I'm going to order the quart first to see how it goes. Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Wow...Thanks for all the tips. This forum is awesome!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I just realised I have another question. 1 Gallon seems like a lot. If I buy a gallon do I mix it up in one big pot (has to hold 4 litres right? 3.8 ltrs I think is 1 gallon from memory) and then put the mixture into one 2ltr bottle (1 quart is .94 litres) and then fill another bottle with the remaining developer and use it to replenish the main 2ltr bottle of solution? Am I understanding this replenishing concept correctly? It seems like a big amount of developer but Freestyle only offers it in 1 gallon. Adorama offers quarts but they want $150 to ship it to Australia as opposed to Freestyle who charge around $20... I only have a one reel tank (but im sure ill get a 3 or 4 reel tank in the future) so I'm not quite sure what to do. Any advice?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin