Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,288   Online: 892

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is a tricky process for the individual that can cause an explosion if not done correctly.
    Not only that, but SO2 is both very smelly and highly toxic and therefore generally not a gas you want around you, unless you are properly equipped and trained for it.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Heck - nothin' to SO2. They work with it all the time at the Chevron refinery across town, and it has
    only blown up once this summer, and doubled our gasoline price only for a couple of months. Things
    are almost back to normal now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I forgot to add that they also bubble HBr gas into TEA to make the Bromide adduct to supply the pH balance and the Bromide ion as antifoggant.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TEA=triethanolamine?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I will just continue to buy mine from Kodak. Maybe if I buy a bottle a month for the next year or two I'll have a large enough supply for my personal use.

And probably a large enough supply to qualify as a large quantity generator for the EPA.

Shooter
    Multi Format

HC 110 Reverse Engineering

I think Champion will continue with HC-110 no matter what happens with Kodak . If it does go away I imagine we will have much bigger problems to worry about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use D76.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    This has already been done. Over on the Dye Transfer forum there's a fellow in Australia named Andy
    Cross who precisely reverse engineered it, but he has access to true research lab facilities. It's a highly difficult product to duplicate, involving hazardous precursors. You can't do it in a home lab. Apparently Kodak no longer offers liquid developers in Australia due to hazmat shipping issues, so he
    made himself a lifetime supply in a single batch. The concentrate allegedly keeps for decades. HC110
    is still readily available here, so I don't know why anyone would even bother attempting to duplicate
    it here, though I notice Freestyle claims to have an actual substitute.
    iirc Kodak Australia doesn't import it, but we have no problem on having it shipped from the U.S. and receiving it. B&H has no problem sending it over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I loved HC-110 with Tri-X before they reformulated Tri-X and the developing times for dilution B are now too short for roll film on a reel. I have always found the grain structure and shadow density produced by the TX/HC110B combo to be much more to my liking than D-76. Rodinol has wonderful qualities, but for me HC-110 was it.

Another thing about shelf life, I had someone give me bottles of very old HC-110. He said it worked fine. I saw a big difference in base fog, highlight separation, and D-Max areas when I processes a test roll (AKA a roll my wife shot). So it's shelf life is not infinite. Now that I got my old M2 repaired and fitted with a nice Summicron M lens, I'm playing with Tri-X in Rodinol, and T-Max 400 in HC-110B. Neither will be like the TX in HC-110. Sad face here.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin