Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,945   Posts: 1,557,738   Online: 1075

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

HC 110 Reverse Engineering

I have contacted with a University Analytical Chemistry Lab to get an quote for revealing the HC 110 Formula.

My question is , how a lab identify only Kodak manufactured rare chemical ? Do labs get a update every year for every chemical ever manufactured in US ? Or the spectrum archive is specific to most known chemicals ?

This is an big modern university lab with doping unit also and I am not sure whether they would succeed or not ?

PE,

What do you advise ?

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An apparently close approximation to the formula, or the actual formula, is in the patent shown in the Film Developing Cookbook.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I know it but Patent is dated 1971 and nobody is agree on the correctness. In time some people claim some chemical inside of the mix and than replaced. People agree , todays formula is not the old one , if I followed the Forum correctly in 6 years , everything changed since 70s. If there is a way for lab to succeed , I prefer university report to heated fight.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Of course I will prepare a dossier with the all known or claimed facts. This will work great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wonder if Kodak will continue to make chemistry, or farm it out to Eastman Chemical when they collapse.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or continue to farm it out to Champion which they have been doing for some time already? I believe Champion is one of the major debt holders Kodak owes money to now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    Of course I will prepare a dossier with the all known or claimed facts. This will work great.
    This may be great for informational and educational purposes, but let's get real: there are good chances that HC-110 contains compounds that only Kodak/Champion has access to or makes. In other words, buying HC-110 might be the cheapest way of obtaining those compounds. It might not be worth spending big money on finding out that this is indeed the case.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wonder if the other problem might be not knowing what is in the formula, but how to correctly mix it or in what order to make a successful formulation. Much like baking, if you blend baking soda in with the butter and wonder why your cookies don't work out, it is not just what is in HC-110, but how to correctly make it.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This has already been done. Over on the Dye Transfer forum there's a fellow in Australia named Andy
    Cross who precisely reverse engineered it, but he has access to true research lab facilities. It's a highly difficult product to duplicate, involving hazardous precursors. You can't do it in a home lab. Apparently Kodak no longer offers liquid developers in Australia due to hazmat shipping issues, so he
    made himself a lifetime supply in a single batch. The concentrate allegedly keeps for decades. HC110
    is still readily available here, so I don't know why anyone would even bother attempting to duplicate
    it here, though I notice Freestyle claims to have an actual substitute.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are no proprietary chemicals in HC110 AFAIK. The secret is in the method of manufacture in which TEA is treated with SO2 gas to get a mix of a base and Sulfite. This makes the syrup water free for good stability. It is a tricky process for the individual that can cause an explosion if not done correctly.

PE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin