Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,919   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    You're suggesting that grain is a bad thing? Truth be told, I want grain!
    Ummm... In this particular case it was a bad thing. I thought it was rather artistic BUT it was for a musician who I photographed performing, and she was less than thrilled. We would both probably have been happier with the results from pushed Tri-X or Neopan 1600.

I didn't read the OP carefully enough and didn't notice the 3.5ml in the OP - I do 1:100 for one hour, but in a 500ml tank; therefore I am using 5ml per roll.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Stand developing HP5 Pushed to 1600 in Rodinal

I'm glad this question was asked. This is 'exactly' what I want to try. Thanks.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Rider View Post
    I'm glad this question was asked. This is 'exactly' what I want to try. Thanks.
    You first and report back results

Actually, I was going to process it on the weekend, but life got in the way. Hopefully this weekend.

Shooter
    35mm RF

Stand developing HP5 Pushed to 1600 in Rodinal

Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    You first and report back results

Actually, I was going to process it on the weekend, but life got in the way. Hopefully this weekend.
    No you first, I insist, 'cos I haven't finished the roll yet.

Good luck. It's always nerve racking trying something new.
    "All I ask for is an M5 with a fast lens, a roll of HP5 and a street to shoot her by."

StreetPhotographyBlog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    So known success at 3.5ml of Rodinal per above. So much for the absolute lower limit being 5ml as I have heard suggested. I wonder where its efficacy stops?

pentaxuser
    My guess is that it doesn't "stop" but just changes gradually as the amount decreases. At some point shadow detail would be diminished, then with further dilution then the rest of the image. If I wanted to try extreme dilution, I would use a greater volume of diluted developer. Saving the cost of a couple of mL of Rodinal seems insignificant given the other costs of photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    Saving the cost of a couple of mL of Rodinal seems insignificant given the other costs of photography.
    Imho it's not a question of saving a few cents. High diluted Rodinal and stand development has another impact, it's more compensating, highlights don't burn too fast and yep, film speed is increased because of the long dev time. Usually with a push development you get very increased contrast, stand development with a weak developer avoids this. 60 minutes stand in Rodinal 1:100 at 20 °C is a good starting point. Most films will give usable results. If you like it depends on your taste. The slower the film, the less time you need. TechPan f.e. needs only 10 - 12 minutes or an even higher dilution.

Best - Reinhold
    Last edited by grommi; 10-29-2012 at 07:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin