Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,998   Online: 685
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    hoffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,903
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    57

    Stand developing HP5 Pushed to 1600 in Rodinal

    Hi,

    I have decided to give Stand development a try - I have a roll of HP5 pushed to 1600 that I want to use as the first cab of the rank. I also have some Rodinal.

    What starting figures should I use? From my research, I have been found 1:100 & 3.5ml per roll for 1 hour. Is that going to be sufficient, or should I change the dilution and/or development times? Also, what about temperature? Is the standard old 20deg C as good a starting point as any?

    Cheers.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,104
    I don't want to discourage you, but I haven't had good results with HP5 pushed to 1600 and stand developed in Rodinal. It was too grainy for me. I used the same dilution and time you describe. As I understand it, temperature is not *that* critical for such a long development time.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,965
    So known success at 3.5ml of Rodinal per above. So much for the absolute lower limit being 5ml as I have heard suggested. I wonder where its efficacy stops?

    pentaxuser

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,403
    I've used 3.5ml/roll with some success for stand development (not with hP5 tho'). Results were OK for scanning, but I found it can get a bit streaky. (bromide drag ?).
    i have seen someone somewhere (perhaps it was a flickr group) claiming he regularly uses as little as 2ml/roll .

  5. #5
    Stephanie Brim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,607
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    21
    No. NO NO NO. No less than 5ml per roll. NONE. Don't care what anyone says.

    When I was stand developing I was using a two roll tank to do one roll of film at a time. I highly suggest this route. If you want to do two rolls, find a tank that can hold 1000ml. I regretted the hell out of it the only time I tried with less. I think I put 600ml (which is the maximum in my cheap tank), so that would have been 3ml per roll. It was awful.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

  6. #6
    ColdEye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    714
    Images
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post

    When I was stand developing I was using a two roll tank to do one roll of film at a time. I highly suggest this route.
    True, when i tried 2 35mm rolls, the results were so bad. It's the only time I got weird streaking/whatever it's called. I usally go 1:100 Rodinal for 1 hour (2 inversions on the 30min mark) with TriX and I am happy with the results. Temperature is not that big of a deal, for me at least.

  7. #7
    hoffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,903
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    I don't want to discourage you, but I haven't had good results with HP5 pushed to 1600 and stand developed in Rodinal. It was too grainy for me. I used the same dilution and time you describe. As I understand it, temperature is not *that* critical for such a long development time.
    You're suggesting that grain is a bad thing? Truth be told, I want grain!

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    No. NO NO NO. No less than 5ml per roll. NONE. Don't care what anyone says.

    When I was stand developing I was using a two roll tank to do one roll of film at a time. I highly suggest this route. If you want to do two rolls, find a tank that can hold 1000ml. I regretted the hell out of it the only time I tried with less. I think I put 600ml (which is the maximum in my cheap tank), so that would have been 3ml per roll. It was awful.
    So, if I was only doing 1 roll, are you suggesting that I still use 500ml water, 5 ml dev, regardless?

    Cheers

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    You're suggesting that grain is a bad thing? Truth be told, I want grain! . . .
    Then why use HP5+ mat all. Buy some Delta 3200. As a bonus you'll even get decent shadow detail.

  9. #9
    Stephanie Brim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Iowa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,607
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    You're suggesting that grain is a bad thing? Truth be told, I want grain!



    So, if I was only doing 1 roll, are you suggesting that I still use 500ml water, 5 ml dev, regardless?

    Cheers
    Yes. Even though I hoard my bottle of true Agfa stuff like it was the most precious metal, I'd still not use less than that. If I had a scanner that could do 35mm negs anymore, I'd show you why.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

  10. #10
    hoffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,903
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Dismayed View Post
    Then why use HP5+ mat all. Buy some Delta 3200. As a bonus you'll even get decent shadow detail.
    That would be too easy. I have shot HP5+ @ ISO 1600 before, developed in D76 stock and Microphen and have been rather happy with the results. I just want to give it a crack and see how it comes out. Remember, one mans crap is another mans treasure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    Yes. Even though I hoard my bottle of true Agfa stuff like it was the most precious metal, I'd still not use less than that. If I had a scanner that could do 35mm negs anymore, I'd show you why.
    Cheers for that - I will start that way and see how I go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin