Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,905   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    ... It would also be nice to see the return of Kodak Polytoner or a substitute formula for it. Other than that, I'm not much into toning papers.
    If you're the brave sort, here's a formula directly from Kodak on how to make your own polytoner: http://www.kodak.com/global/plugins/...als/CIS268.pdf Personally this isn't something I'd want to do at home--only in a fully equipped chemical lab.

Here's something more reasonable; combining already prepared commercial selenium and brown toners to make your own polytoner. Note posting #5. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ner-Equivalent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your link to the Polytone substitute is scrambled this is the Kodak PDF.

There's plenty of good formulae for Selenium-Sulphide toners and they are straight forward to make up.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Far more people suffer from Selenium Deficiency, I take it you don't use KRST best not to drink water either that can kill you

Ian
    I use krst but stay away from the powder.

Daily requirement is 55 micrograms per day.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I'd like to have that too. I've been stockpiling KRST, around 40 bottles right now, but am still paranoid..EC
    Evan,

My God! Forty bottles of KRST would last me well past the rest of my life! I print a fair amount and don't use a bottle a year. I replenish my toner and keep it. No need to toss it, it works fine, even after almost 10 years. I think a lot of good toner goes to waste, to the detriment of the environment and the photographers' wallets.

Plus, there's always Ilford and the Freestyle Legacy Pro selenium toners that are similar, if not identical, to KRST.

Check out this discussion at the LF forum: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...odak-vs-Ilford

There are others out there too (e.g., Moersch).

Given the number of selenium toning products still available, unless I had a fume hood and proper ventilation/respirator, I would likely be hesitant to mix my own selenium toner.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak Photographic Handbook

Hello Ian

Don't know if this is any help, but here's a formaula from the 1949 UK Kodak Handbook with suggested dilutions. Good luck boiling the Selelnium powder! If the jpeg below is not very clear will e mail you a bigger file.

All the best
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KODAK-SELENIUM.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mike, I have that hand-book, what I'd overlooked was that T-55 was commercially available at one time.

I also have the equivalent US hand-book of the same era (part of the full set of 4 in their original boxes) and T-55 isn't listed.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I'd like to have that too. I've been stockpiling KRST, around 40 bottles right now, but am still paranoid..EC
    Damn!
    Krst lasts a long time before it's exhausted, are you using it one shot?
    How many do you use a year?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    "Dissolve the sulphite in about 700 ml of hot water, then add the selenium powder and boil until it is completely dissolved. Allow the solution to cool; then add the ammonium chloride and stir until it is dissolved. Finally make up to the required bulk with cold water."

If you don't have a fume hood, do this boiling outdoors and be sure to stand upwind, and wear a respirator. It takes an hour or more to boile this inot solution with occasional stirring, AND THE FUMES ARE EXTREMELY HARMFUL TO YOUR LUNGS.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    here is a formulation for a selenium toner very similar to KRST: Please remember that sodiumselenite (Na2SeO3) is very toxic!!

Water, dist. 560 ml
    Ammoniumthiosulfate, sicc. 270 g
    Sodiumsulfite, sicc. 150 g
    Sodiumselenite 20 g

In contrast to common photographic formula it is not filled up with water to 1000 ml.

Source: Kodak MSDS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin