Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,345   Online: 772

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Looking for the Kodak Selenium toner formula

As per title I'm trying to find the the pre-KRST Kodak Selenium toner formula. This is listed in my 1940 Kodak Professional Catalogue as Selenium Toner solution, in 20oz, 40oz 80oz and I gallon quantities.

Above that listing Kodak give the necessary chemicals for making up your own but not a ratio or dilution. The chemicals Ammonium Chloride and Selenium Powder were availble from Kodak as well (specifically for the toner).

Ian

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'd like to have that too. I've been stockpiling KRST, around 40 bottles right now, but am still paranoid..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also be interested to see a substitute formula.
    Hopefully, it will still be available for a long while before having to resort to making it from scratch.
    It would also be nice to see the return of Kodak Polytoner or a substitute formula for it. Other than that, I'm not much into toning papers.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    What is the difference between Ilfords selenium toner and the Kodak?
    I have been using the Kodak but am worried about its future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's not a lot of difference in practice , they both contain Ammonium Thiosulphate and Sodium Selenite. KRST contains Sodium sulphite and while it's not listed in the Ilford MSDS sheet it may be present.

Fotospeed Selenium toner is very similar to KRST but then they have ex-Kodak employees.

The formula was looking for is slightly different, I've just found it in a War-time Kodak Formulary, from Kodak Research, Harrow

Kodak T55 Selenium Toner

Sodium Sulphite (anhyd) 150g
    Selenium (powder) 6g
    Ammonium Chloride 190g
    Water to 1 litre

Dissolve the sulphite in about 700 ml of hot water, then add the selenium powder and boil until it is completely dissolved. Allow the solution to cool; then add the ammonium chloride and stir until it is dissolved. Finally make up to the required bulk with cold water.

For use dilute 1 pare of stock solution with 5 parts of water.
    Prints should be fixed and well washed before toning in the above solution for 10 to 15 minutes at 18° C. (65° F.). Finally wash well before drying.

CHARACTERISTICS AND PURPOSE
    A single-solution toner for chloro-bromide papers and warm-tone lantern slides yielding a variety of tones from brown to red-brown cording to depth and colour of the developed image. Images toned in this bath may be further enriched by subsequent toning in T.52.

* Available as "Kodak" Selenium Toner In concentrated solution form.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 10-26-2012 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    As per title I'm trying to find the the pre-KRST Kodak Selenium toner formula. This is listed in my 1940 Kodak Professional Catalogue as Selenium Toner solution, in 20oz, 40oz 80oz and I gallon quantities.

Above that listing Kodak give the necessary chemicals for making up your own but not a ratio or dilution. The chemicals Ammonium Chloride and Selenium Powder were availble from Kodak as well (specifically for the toner).

Ian
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12041880

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Far more people suffer from Selenium Deficiency, I take it you don't use KRST best not to drink water either that can kill you

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    What is the difference between Ilfords selenium toner and the Kodak?
    I have been using the Kodak but am worried about its future.
    Don't want to hijack Ian's thread, but I'd also be interested to hear people's answers to this question. Maybe in a different thread?

I'm down to my final working liter of KRST. This is the last Kodak product I regularly use. Kodachrome was my second-to-last. I'd like to transition to Ilford's version on my next purchase cycle before my hand is similarly forced and I have to scramble.

(I'm not a hoarder, preferring to use readily available products so I don't have to worry. Worry takes all the fun out of it for me.)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I would never dare attempting making selenium toner my self!!

I like th eKodak toner, BUT as dear Moersch has made a really cool one, I am not too worried!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I make Selenium toner in a fume cupboard that way there's no problems. I've got some Sodium Selenite, enough to make rather a lot of Selenium toner and that doesn't need boiling so is less hazardous.

We use some far more dangerous chemicals in photography and it's important to take the relevant safety steps which are relatively easy. After all some Wet plate workers still use Cyanide.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin