Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,641   Online: 700

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise- I use sponge brushes. My coatings are OK. My concern is with the warping, while drying. I can't let them dry in open air, as the darkroom is also the laundry room. I'm going to try some of the ideas later tonight. I think the hair dryer idea may work. If they can go into the boxes a bit drier, they shouldn't warp as much.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Denise- I use sponge brushes. My coatings are OK. My concern is with the warping, while drying. I can't let them dry in open air, as the darkroom is also the laundry room. I'm going to try some of the ideas later tonight. I think the hair dryer idea may work. If they can go into the boxes a bit drier, they shouldn't warp as much.
    the first times I did this I was surprised to see the end result (when making my images) turning out very grey!... Untill I realized if heated it radiates light from the heater, and thus pre expose the papers (far too much).
    That's why COOL setting is VERY important, but it will still set the emulsion rather quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eddie,

Since you're coating with a brush, you're freed up from the dead-flat coating surface requirement that using a glass coating rod imposes. If you ever decide to go with wet coating, the mylar bag covered mat boards will work just dandy.

Hope your coatings went well last night.
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I coated a few 8x10's last night. Hoping to print later today, or tomorrow. I don't need perfect coatings, as I'm manipulating the prints with oils and pencils.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan 12.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's beautiful. Wonderful use of materials. I see why you go with the rough watercolor paper.
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I like to coat on Watercolor as well. I also use canvas and velour for different textures. I have coated up to 16x20 on 20x24 sheets of paper with good results.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Denise. The last coatings went well. I managed to print, and paint, a few more:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scan 15.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PE- I'd like to try other surfaces. You've given me some ideas...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    PE- I'd like to try other surfaces. You've given me some ideas...
    I don't know how PE is doing this, but for textured surfaces some suggest (maybe read in the book Silver Gelatine... need to check) that adding a little glyzering to the emulsion would help it cover easier... at least for the first layer.. (?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use my coating blade for all surfaces. I coat on a cold surface and use emulsion and blade tempered to 110F. I dry at 68F or 20C at about 50%RH. I dry either flat or hanging from film hangers. The surfaces, methods and results are shown in my book.

I have posted much of this in the Emulsion forum here on APUG.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin