Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,737   Online: 758

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film choice for large portrait project.

After going back to film I'm about to do a portrait project. Am planing to print digitally from flat bed scans sizes around A1. Got a P67, so the negs will be fairly big, hopefully big enough. Have been using T-max 400 but find it almost too bland, for lack of a better word, too clean perhaps and not grainy enough. I think that I basically want a more traditional film look, not a digital-like perfection.
    Would Tri-x 400 be a better choice? As I will develop myself, it may also be more forgiving to inconsistencies in processing.

Cheers, Wojtek.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, Tri-X (or Ilford HP5+) will give you a more traditional film look. I'm not sure about the processing, but I find traditional grain films to have somewhat more exposure latitude than the Tmax/Delta films.

Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would probably do HP5. I love it, precious.

However, are you married to ISO 400? FP4 would be a good choice, too.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I would probably do HP5. I love it, precious.

However, are you married to ISO 400? FP4 would be a good choice, too.

I think I have to use ISO 400 as the Pentax 67 with 135 macro lens has so little DOF that even at f11 at close distance your subject's nose will be out of focus. Plus handheld you don't want it below 1/250th.

Cheers, Wojtek.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With a hybrid workflow and 6x7 I don't think film choice is overly critical as you can bend the curve at your will after scanning and grain will still be very fine. Whatever film you choose, you really owe yourself to get your negs scanned on a drum scanner so that the final print will have a chance of coming close to a good darkroom print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Vote for HP5+ or FP4+ too (I would favor the latter). But keep in mind that grain on scanned negs can look much coarser than it would be in a print. I´ve made good experience with scanning FP4+.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What about Delta 3200 or something? Very grainy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use both Tmax400 and TriX. Why don't you try a roll of TriX and see if that's what you are looking for? I use both of these film and they certainly have a different look from each other. Tmax looks clinical to me sometimes where as TriX has an organic look. Delta3200 may be too grainy.... I used it on 645 frame camera and printed on 8x10 and I wanted very obvious grain on that particular shot. I got it. Worth a try if that's what you are after.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will try the Tri-x. They sell it only in 5packs though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tri X is a great film. I've done lots of medium and large format portraits with it. Recently I've been shooting T-Max 400 however, and I have been developing it in a formula, FX 37. It's a high acutance developer that is said to work well with tabular grain films. I'm not sure this developer works as advertised in The Film Developing Cookbook. The negs aren't smooth, and the grain is more noticeable than say, T-Max developer or HC-110B, but I like the results. I'm shooting 4.5 x 6 cm negs, flatbed scanning, and producing Pt/Pd prints using hybrid methods. This is a mix-it-yourself developer and you may not want to bother, but if you do, I'll gladly send you the formula. A few of my hybrid photos made with the above techniques can be seen om DPUG.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin