Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,608   Online: 759
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28
  1. #21
    keyofnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    keyofnight - I was hoping you weren't writing off APUG completely but as you can see, there are some strong opinions here. Generally, if it works for you, do it! The difficulty most people have is that they see fads (stand development, water baths, obscure developers, etc.) that somebody uses successfully and then everybody copies, thinking they will have the same success. You see this in people following Ansel Adam's developer/develop times slavishly and then being disappointed their pictures don't look like his - you don't just find this in developers, when I was working in a camera store, I sold a $6k lens to a new photographer because he wanted his pictures to look like the one in the magazine and this is the lens they were using (I tried for 2 hours to talk him out of it, with no luck - it's currently for sale on Craigslist). I have done stand development, it doesn't work for me but I was glad I did it, if nothing else I now know what it does and what I do/don't like about it.

    If it works for you (and you seem to think so), keep at it!
    I haven't written off APUG. Most web forums are like this: tempers run high when some newb comes in asking questions about something unpopular in the first place. This isn't the first time, and it certainly won't be the last. I try to do as much research/experimentation as I can before posting these things…but you can never research enough to avoid heated tempers.

    You're right—people do copy one another blindly, and they have no idea what they're getting themselves into. I think Caffenol is one of those trends that doesn't make a lot of practical sense, but it sounds like fun none the less. I can imagine it has it's place too, though. By the way: it's great that you were one of the camera store salespeople who tried to do good things! Most would've swindled that guy for even more money. (;

    Alright! I mixed up some Rodinal the way you suggested before souping a roll. The roll came out pretty consistent and thick, like my first roll. Thanks for the help. (:

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,308
    Blog Entries
    5
    Images
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by keyofnight View Post

    You're right—people do copy one another blindly, and they have no idea what they're getting themselves into. I think Caffenol is one of those trends that doesn't make a lot of practical sense, but it sounds like fun none the less. I can imagine it has it's place too, though. By the way: it's great that you were one of the camera store salespeople who tried to do good things! Most would've swindled that guy for even more money. (;
    its funny that you say that about caffenol
    i have been using it in one form or another since may 2006.
    i strayed from the pack pretty quickly, stopped measuring anything
    stopped doing the times / temps they said ..
    and now roast my own coffeebeans for my developer
    and add a wee bit of print developer ( ansco 130 ) to boost the contrast
    and smooth things out. ( it costs me about 4¢ / roll to process )
    heck, i was using ansco 130 as a film developer before 2000 ...
    the thing about developers and photography in general
    is there are a zillion people all telling you you should be doing " this and that "
    because it is what they are used to, it is what they like to do and it allegedly works for them.

    just experiment with your developer, and film and figure out what works best for YOU.
    it might even mean you over expose your film a little bit and use a stronger concentration of your developer
    if you stand develop, or leave at box speed, and agitate a little bit at the begining, or middle or end just to
    boost your contrast.
    the hardest thing todo, especially with website forums
    is turn up the squelch and only do what you want, without the rest of the people telling you how wrong you are
    and not listen to how all your film and prints will look terrible because you are doing it all wrong ...

    good luck figuring it out !
    john

  3. #23
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,335
    Images
    225

    Problems stand developing Tri-X at box speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    its funny that you say that about caffenol
    i have been using it in one form or another since may 2006.
    i strayed from the pack pretty quickly, stopped measuring anything
    stopped doing the times / temps they said ..
    and now roast my own coffeebeans for my developer
    and add a wee bit of print developer ( ansco 130 ) to boost the contrast
    and smooth things out. ( it costs me about 4¢ / roll to process )
    heck, i was using ansco 130 as a film developer before 2000 ...
    the thing about developers and photography in general
    is there are a zillion people all telling you you should be doing " this and that "
    because it is what they are used to, it is what they like to do and it allegedly works for them.

    just experiment with your developer, and film and figure out what works best for YOU.
    it might even mean you over expose your film a little bit and use a stronger concentration of your developer
    if you stand develop, or leave at box speed, and agitate a little bit at the begining, or middle or end just to
    boost your contrast.
    the hardest thing todo, especially with website forums
    is turn up the squelch and only do what you want, without the rest of the people telling you how wrong you are
    and not listen to how all your film and prints will look terrible because you are doing it all wrong ...

    good luck figuring it out !
    john
    I keep hearing about coffee developer, but I can't find a simple mix explanation, everyone says try this or mix that, I just want instructions and then I can experiment from there, can you provide basic how to?

    It's sorta on topic right? Coffee is a stand process right?


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,308
    Blog Entries
    5
    Images
    50
    sorry to hijack your thread !!



    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I keep hearing about coffee developer, but I can't find a simple mix explanation, everyone says try this or mix that, I just want instructions and then I can experiment from there, can you provide basic how to?

    It's sorta on topic right? Coffee is a stand process right?


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    the easiest recipe for caffenol is this

    Caffenol C

    8 oz. water
    4 slightly rounded tsp. instant coffee
    2 tsp. washing soda
    1000 mg Vitamin C (1/4 tsp powder)

    it has to be cheap rot gut instant coffee
    if you can't find washing soda ( sodium carbonate )
    take BAKING SODA spread it on a cookie sheet and put in an oven
    at low heat to purge the moisture from it and convert it to washing soda
    vit c, well health food stores, ebay, photographers formulary, pharmacies &c can get it for you

    i stand develop, and mix it strong ...
    most people do normal agitation schemes ...

    if you have a scale go to reinhold's blog
    ( http://caffenol.blogspot.com/ )
    there, he has TONS of info, precise recipes and tips to make it all work

    there are even people that just make the coffee ( as if they were going to drink it )
    and don't use the sodium carbonate or vit c
    and stand develop the film for a while ..

    caffenol negatives tend to LOOK thin, but they print and numericalize beautifully ...

    good luck !
    john

  5. #25
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,335
    Images
    225

    Problems stand developing Tri-X at box speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    sorry to hijack your thread !!





    the easiest recipe for caffenol is this

    Caffenol C

    8 oz. water
    4 slightly rounded tsp. instant coffee
    2 tsp. washing soda
    1000 mg Vitamin C (1/4 tsp powder)

    it has to be cheap rot gut instant coffee
    if you can't find washing soda ( sodium carbonate )
    take BAKING SODA spread it on a cookie sheet and put in an oven
    at low heat to purge the moisture from it and convert it to washing soda
    vit c, well health food stores, ebay, photographers formulary, pharmacies &c can get it for you

    i stand develop, and mix it strong ...
    most people do normal agitation schemes ...

    if you have a scale go to reinhold's blog
    ( http://caffenol.blogspot.com/ )
    there, he has TONS of info, precise recipes and tips to make it all work

    there are even people that just make the coffee ( as if they were going to drink it )
    and don't use the sodium carbonate or vit c
    and stand develop the film for a while ..

    caffenol negatives tend to LOOK thin, but they print and numericalize beautifully ...

    good luck !
    john
    Thanks!

    (ALSO sorry to hijack the thread)


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  6. #26
    keyofnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    86
    No worries about hijacking this thread… (; I've been thinking about caffenol for a couple years. I'd love to try it at some point.

    Thanks for the encouragement, John!

  7. #27
    StoneNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    7,335
    Images
    225

    Problems stand developing Tri-X at box speed.

    Quote Originally Posted by keyofnight View Post
    No worries about hijacking this thread… (; I've been thinking about caffenol for a couple years. I'd love to try it at some point.

    Thanks for the encouragement, John!
    Glad you bumped this, I'm going to try this soon


    ~Stone

    The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    36

    Problems stand developing Tri-X at box speed.

    If you do stand development, don't forget you might get bromide streaking over your negatives... That's the worst side effect of this technique.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin