Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,628   Online: 682

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Well, my comparison was that I tried printing therefore onto MGIV Warmtone to warm up the image, yet it still looked cold somehow. I think that clinical look is a good descriptor for the lenses. They have a very different look than almost anything else I've used. Maybe I need to keep it around for my landscape and use the Yashica for people here on out.
    Exactly, choose the tool that suits the job. Unlike Mark, I find the Mamiya 6 to fit my style and way of seeing. I prefer MF and prefer even more to have portability with MF. Plus I'm a stickler for sharpness and it just doesn't get any sharper than Mamiya MF RF lenses. I also have a Bronica RF645 which is a wicked system too. My subject matter doesn't demand two different types of camera systems, though I do miss doing some still lifes and close ups and may purchase a used Bronica SQ-A kit to do so.

Don't forget, there's also toning of MGWT to warm it up even more. It is beautiful in selenium and brown toner (Viradon). MGIV also looks fantastic in a heavy selenium, though that is not warm. Try MGIV in Viradon used indirectly (bleach it first). This is a nice sepia tone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now I get what you are saying.

Yes I have seen things look too sharp, too clinical.

Must say I haven't had the opportunity to do the same test.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I ended up selenium toning the MGIV Warmtone and it turned out beautifully. Just not quite the same though...

If you look at my uploaded images, the BW ones, do you get the same feeling? Even with the proposal shot?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    While I preferred the Rollei (and Hassleblad) Planars to the Mamiya lenses, if I pointed either one at something interesting and pushed the button at the right time, it didn't matter which camera/lens I used. I made good and bad pictures with both. I have several from each up on my walls and if they'd been from the other camera, they'd still be up.

Your Mamiya has some of the best lenses ever made. I imagine you only noticed this difference because of a side by side comparison. I also find waist level viewing far less than ideal for people pictures (I use a prism on the Rollei). If that is true for you also, then the Mamiya will probably give you better pictures in those situations in spite of your lens preference.

I just happen to enjoy the image quality of some lenses more than others so might as well use those.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I ended up selenium toning the MGIV Warmtone and it turned out beautifully. Just not quite the same though...

If you look at my uploaded images, the BW ones, do you get the same feeling? Even with the proposal shot?
    I took a look at your gallery, some of the work I've seen before in the main gallery. The work looks great. It doesn't give me a 'cold' feeling, nor a warm feeling either. I think it's just great work, and works well as cold neutral toned prints. I may change my mind if I saw them on a warmer toned paper, and some may work well that way too. I believe for much of that work the Mamiya 7 fits perfectly.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I took a look at your gallery, some of the work I've seen before in the main gallery. The work looks great. It doesn't give me a 'cold' feeling, nor a warm feeling either. I think it's just great work, and works well as cold neutral toned prints. I may change my mind if I saw them on a warmer toned paper, and some may work well that way too. I believe for much of that work the Mamiya 7 fits perfectly.
    Thanks, it's always good to hear some support.

I really enjoy Lith printing these with the rosy golds and yellow hues. Many pictures lend themselves to that appearance while others need a good solid dark, heavy midtone look. I kinda am giving up on straight BW prints and moving more towards the former and a many alt process.
    K.S. Klain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin