Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,034   Online: 1163

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The news is good indeed. I have returned to Ilford as my main film manufacturer recently in order to have a reliable supply of quality film that will be available for the long term. I love using TRI-X, but Delta 400 is my new favorite. It suits me and my way of shooting completely. Best film I have ever used, and the irony is that if Kodak hadn't been in trouble, I would have never tried it ...... Thanks Kodak, I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bragg View Post
    The news is good indeed. I have returned to Ilford as my main film manufacturer recently in order to have a reliable supply of quality film that will be available for the long term. I love using TRI-X, but Delta 400 is my new favorite. It suits me and my way of shooting completely. Best film I have ever used, and the irony is that if Kodak hadn't been in trouble, I would have never tried it ...... Thanks Kodak, I think.
    It's sad that we have to dump a company just to make sure we have a reliable source, but as my buddy Clint would say, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do" and that's what many of us are doing. It's kind of like pumping water into a sinking ship and wondering if it's going to sink or not. Well, it's certainly not the kind of action that's going to help keep Kodak and their film line afloat. Fuji Across and Delta 100 are two of my favorite films, but for speed I have always liked TRI-X. When TRI-X goes I will shed a tear as I did when I couldn't get Verichrome Pan film anymore.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a recollection that when Harman bought Ilford they stated that they intended to be last man standing. I think Harman has the most extensive line up of B&W films and papers, very good quaility control and knows how to communicate with customers and will be last man standing. I still perfer Txi X and Tmax 400 but I now HP 5 and PF 4 in MF and 4x5 and like the fact that I buy a box of 25 sheets at a time. Can Ilford expand into color, or would they want to good question.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Satisfactory news from IlfordPhoto

Quote Originally Posted by aleksmiesak View Post
    I honestly do not see any point in Ilford getting their hands into color anything. They have success with what they're doing so why fix something that isn't broken. One of the problems of Kodak was having too many pots on the stove. KISS has worked so well for ilford (we all know it's not all that simple...) and congrats for proving everyone wrong by doing things your way! Love you guys and keep it up!
    Agree 100%. With mini labs closing and practically gone and frankly digital being a much better alternative to color than B&W (IMO) I think color would be a wrong direction.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ME Super View Post
    I hope it includes a B&W true infrared film. Infrared is just...wow...
    +1. the only product missing from a line-up of stellar products! So guys, how about true infrared, available in sizes 35mm to 8X10 (although, in a pinch, 120 would be just duckie).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    Fuji Across and Delta 100 are two of my favorite films, but for speed I have always liked TRI-X.
    You could eventually get something from HP5+, but have a look at Ilford Pan400 if it's available in your area of the world. D76 1+1 and you might just be rather pleased. At EI400, it seems to me much more TriX-like than HP5+ is, though admittedly I haven't tried any pushing or pulling with it yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    You could eventually get something from HP5+, but have a look at Ilford Pan400 if it's available in your area of the world. D76 1+1 and you might just be rather pleased. At EI400, it seems to me much more TriX-like than HP5+ is, though admittedly I haven't tried any pushing or pulling with it yet.
    I've never tried Ilford Pan400 or even seen it in my area. I shoot almost zero 35mm and use mainly 120 and 4x5 so it's almost impossible for me to buy film locally anymore. Most of the old camera stores in my neck of the woods are gone with only one left. That one has a very, very limited supply of 120 film on hand. The last time I was in the store I could only get Ilford Delta 100 and Delta 400(they were out of FP4+ and HP5+. They did have some T-max in 120,but that's about it. They don't seem to want to have to much film in stock for some reason. So, for me it's usually Freestyle, B&H or Adorama. If I can find some Pan400 I'm going to try it. Thanks for the tip. JohnW

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    I've never tried Ilford Pan400 or even seen it in my area. I shoot almost zero 35mm and use mainly 120 and 4x5 so it's almost impossible for me to buy film locally anymore. Most of the old camera stores in my neck of the woods are gone with only one left. That one has a very, very limited supply of 120 film on hand. The last time I was in the store I could only get Ilford Delta 100 and Delta 400(they were out of FP4+ and HP5+. They did have some T-max in 120,but that's about it. They don't seem to want to have to much film in stock for some reason. So, for me it's usually Freestyle, B&H or Adorama. If I can find some Pan400 I'm going to try it. Thanks for the tip. JohnW
    Tell them to buy some and you will guarantee a certain amount bought to make them see the worth?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Certain stores may not carry things, but if you ask, they can order for you at no extra charge.

Anyways, I am very positive about Ilford and its future. They seem to be doing the right things in order for film to be viable in this day and age. I'm actually starting to see little if any gap in price between Ilford and Kodak or Fuji. Ilford used to be slightly more expensive, but its prices have remained steady while the others have risen.

Also, Ilford is the only film company whose products are consistently available locally. All the pro shops carry the whole Ilford range (sometimes not SFX, but otherwise no issue) in 35mm and 120. Edmonton is a small market, so I'm guessing this is even better in places like Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal (yes, I know...many stores have closed, but there still is a decent amount from what I've seen).

Kodak and Fuji (except for Superia) are so inconsistent with their offerings. One shop is so all over the place. You'll find Fuji 400H in 35mm, but not Fuji 160S. On the other hand, they'll have Kodak Portra 160, but not 400 in 35mm. So if you want pro neg colour, you'd have to go Fuji for 400 ISO and Kodak for 160. Then you'll find the 160S in 120, but not 35mm or the Portra 400 in 120 but not 35mm. Then you'll find Neopan only in large format and Acros nowhere to be found. Ektar disappears for months, only to reappear at $3 more per roll. The other shops are more Kodak-centric, so you'll find a decent selection of the 3 Portras, Ektar, Tri-X, and Tmax, but Fuji? Good luck if you want something other than Velvia or Provia, you'll have to order and wait (but at least the cost per roll is cheaper than the inconsistent store which may or may not have what you need).

Kodak Gold is now rare to find. This is fine, because I was more of a Superia person myself, but I never was able to give Gold a fair shake because it has disappeared so suddenly. I managed to snag Gold 200 in 35mm 36 exp for over $10. Ridiculous, but for one roll of hard-to-find stuff (that I'd never order online in bulk anyways), it is ok as it'll probably be the last Gold 200 I'll use.

So, I still buy Fuji and Kodak (leaning more Fuji lately because of Kodak's situation) just for colour, but B&W? Not worth the hassle when you have a fantastic company that is committed long term to film. When I stop procrastinating and finally start doing my own B&W developing, the amount of C-41 I go through will probably drop drastically.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    Certain stores may not carry things, but if you ask, they can order for you at no extra charge.

Anyways, I am very positive about Ilford and its future. They seem to be doing the right things in order for film to be viable in this day and age. I'm actually starting to see little if any gap in price between Ilford and Kodak or Fuji. Ilford used to be slightly more expensive, but its prices have remained steady while the others have risen.

Also, Ilford is the only film company whose products are consistently available locally. All the pro shops carry the whole Ilford range (sometimes not SFX, but otherwise no issue) in 35mm and 120. Edmonton is a small market, so I'm guessing this is even better in places like Toronto or Vancouver or Montreal (yes, I know...many stores have closed, but there still is a decent amount from what I've seen).

Kodak and Fuji (except for Superia) are so inconsistent with their offerings. One shop is so all over the place. You'll find Fuji 400H in 35mm, but not Fuji 160S. On the other hand, they'll have Kodak Portra 160, but not 400 in 35mm. So if you want pro neg colour, you'd have to go Fuji for 400 ISO and Kodak for 160. Then you'll find the 160S in 120, but not 35mm or the Portra 400 in 120 but not 35mm. Then you'll find Neopan only in large format and Acros nowhere to be found. Ektar disappears for months, only to reappear at $3 more per roll. The other shops are more Kodak-centric, so you'll find a decent selection of the 3 Portras, Ektar, Tri-X, and Tmax, but Fuji? Good luck if you want something other than Velvia or Provia, you'll have to order and wait (but at least the cost per roll is cheaper than the inconsistent store which may or may not have what you need).

Kodak Gold is now rare to find. This is fine, because I was more of a Superia person myself, but I never was able to give Gold a fair shake because it has disappeared so suddenly. I managed to snag Gold 200 in 35mm 36 exp for over $10. Ridiculous, but for one roll of hard-to-find stuff (that I'd never order online in bulk anyways), it is ok as it'll probably be the last Gold 200 I'll use.

So, I still buy Fuji and Kodak (leaning more Fuji lately because of Kodak's situation) just for colour, but B&W? Not worth the hassle when you have a fantastic company that is committed long term to film. When I stop procrastinating and finally start doing my own B&W developing, the amount of C-41 I go through will probably drop drastically.
    I have a bunch of GOLD that I use to test cameras with, I don't care about using it up because its IMHO junk... It's the equivalent of APX/Advantix quality... If you compared the two you might find more grain and discoloration in the Gold.

Anyway I'll give you everything on a 2:1 trade for any other film (preferably B&W or 3:1 trade for 120

I probably have 8 or 10 rolls in 400, 800 Maybe some 200?

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin