Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,960   Online: 1032

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^ Ha, thanks for the offer! But nah, I'm not really interested in Gold. I just thought it'd be nice to try it out again for fun because I haven't used it since getting back into film. From what I have seen anyways, Superia is better, like what you're saying, it isn't the best film. I'm ok with my one roll, I'd rather spend my money on Ilford than Kodak Gold (or even the Portras or Tri-X would be better money spent) anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Satisfactory news from IlfordPhoto

I've found Gold 200 a very nice film. Scans beautifully. Still have some in the freezer along with some 100. Got some very rare Gold 100 in 120 rolls too though I'm pretty sure the 100 in 120 is not quite the same emulsion as the 35mm. The Gold 400 and 800 I think are crap.

The only time I've ever seen Ilford pan was in a store in the Budapest airport back in the late 90's. I picked up a few rolls. Not bad stuff but very coarse and grainy for the speed IMO. I believe it was never officially imported in the states and is mostly found in eastern Europe and some parts of Asia.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    35mm
    The Pan400 I mentioned is only available in 135 and 120, so there would be no sheets to search for unfortunately. It seems to be a film for "lower priced" markets, but it is different to HP5+ and to Kentmere400 so perhaps the restricted availability is to avoid segmenting the market for HP5+, or something like that?

From 35mm I have had pretty much grain-free 9 1/2" x 12" prints, at normal viewing distance. To get that I just followed the exposure and developing instructions from Ilford exactly, no need for adjustments, though I just used five rolls I bought in Istanbul, and was surprised by how it looked. There do seem to be Asian sellers on fleabay with the 135 size rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just developed my last Kodak roll of TriX today. I ordered 25 sheets of Hp5 4x5 and 20 rolls of HP5 in 35mm this morning. I have cut all ties with Kodak film. If only I could get ilford developer shipped to Japan I could be done with Kodak chemicals as well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I've found Gold 200 a very nice film. Scans beautifully. Still have some in the freezer along with some 100. Got some very rare Gold 100 in 120 rolls too though I'm pretty sure the 100 in 120 is not quite the same emulsion as the 35mm. The Gold 400 and 800 I think are crap.

The only time I've ever seen Ilford pan was in a store in the Budapest airport back in the late 90's. I picked up a few rolls. Not bad stuff but very coarse and grainy for the speed IMO. I believe it was never officially imported in the states and is mostly found in eastern Europe and some parts of Asia.
    The color in those pictures is nice. I tend to shoot in low light level areas and so I get a lot more grain with GOLD. It's a consider film after all, it isn't going to be like EKTAR which is what I prefer. Wish they made that in 400

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The color in those pictures is nice. I tend to shoot in low light level areas and so I get a lot more grain with GOLD. It's a consider film after all, it isn't going to be like EKTAR which is what I prefer. Wish they made that in 400

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I shoot most color neg film 1/2 to 1 stop under box speed as they do get grainy fast if underexposed especially in dark areas. At night or dusk I shoot Kodak 200 at 100:

SF commute
    Contax T2
    Gold 200
    by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 11-03-2012 at 06:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

Richard S.

My Photography Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    Also, Ilford is the only film company whose products are consistently available locally. All the pro shops carry the whole Ilford range (sometimes not SFX, but otherwise no issue) in 35mm and 120.
    That's what you'd expect, and the one remaining pro shop where I live have indeed become mostly an Ilford shop. But strangely, they carry only part of the Ilford range. They've got a number of papers and most of the films, and Ilfosol 3 ... but crucially not Pan F film, and not DD-X developer. (They also carry a spotty range of Kodak emulsions.) Thus, while I'd love to support my local shop, I have to place an order with Freestyle from time to time for slow film and for proper developer for fast film. (I am not having good luck with Ilfosol 3 and any ASA 400 or faster film. If it can be done well, someone tell me how ... but Ilford's own documentation says one ought soup the faster emulsions in DD-X.) It's a bit maddening that this shop has these major gaps, but I don't complain too much because at least I've got one rather than zero pro shops, and they even still process E-6!! (They also have just enough secondhand kit to cause GAS when I'm in there buying film. Occasionally a Pentax 67 or some similar suitably sexy thing shows up and it takes all my effort to walk past without bringing it home with me.)

--Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    I just thought it may be good to share this information here . . .
    Excellent news, indeed.
    I am using Ilford products since I've started as a very young guy with BW photography. I've been always very satisfied with their products.
    I am glad to see that their strategy in this challenging environment is working.
    And I will continue using Ilford products.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Read and noted all your replies and comments:

Thanks very much to all of you who purchase, use and value ILFORD Photo products. And a special thanks to all at APUG and those who contribute to it and who promote analog film & printing and share so willingly their knowledge and time. Its nice to part of a like minded worldwide community.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin