Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,731   Online: 878

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alright, I have checked the USAF Handbook for Photo Lab Processing (AFM-96-11. In it, it lists films used by the Air Force for all purposes and for aerial use only Kodak and Dupont are listed. GAF is listed for small camera and sheet films. No joy here! Sorry.

Also, it gives the standard developers to be used. All films must fit a narrow gate for time and temperature in these developers.

All must be able to use darkroom or field equipment.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

GAF Arial film development questions

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Alright, I have checked the USAF Handbook for Photo Lab Processing (AFM-96-11. In it, it lists films used by the Air Force for all purposes and for aerial use only Kodak and Dupont are listed. GAF is listed for small camera and sheet films. No joy here! Sorry.

Also, it gives the standard developers to be used. All films must fit a narrow gate for time and temperature in these developers.

All must be able to use darkroom or field equipment.

PE
    Thanks for looking. What I found most annoying and strange is they come in canisters of 15 feet each like standard Kodak 70mm except NOT in load able canisters, but just on spools, and the spools do NOT fit in 70mm canisters so I STILL have to re-spool them as if they were on 100 feet spools, why didn't they at least fit inside standard canisters... Ugh, I'm sure they are some proprietary GAF product but still silly, at least the bigger spools prevented heavy curling...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks for looking. What I found most annoying and strange is they come in canisters of 15 feet each like standard Kodak 70mm except NOT in load able canisters, but just on spools, and the spools do NOT fit in 70mm canisters so I STILL have to re-spool them
    No Doubt if you hapen to have a USAF Arial Camera they probaly drop right into the magazine...

Gaf got out of the Photographic buisiness in the mid seventies. They droped products, as I recall our High School Camera club got a closeout deal on a case of Gallon Cans of GAF Acid FIxer, while some of the members were using bulk rolls of GAF film from Freestyle.. I worked at a camera counter after high School, and I recall GAF Colour 110 Film came out with C-22 Process, while every other 110 Film was C-41. They dissappered completly shortly after that.

A web search for the NSN (AKa NATO Number) on the can gives the news that it is no older than 1963
    FILM,PHOTOGRAPHIC
    (NSN 6750005774637)
    FSG (Federal Supply Group): 67 (Photographic Equipment)
    FSC (Federal Supply Code): 6750 (Photographic Supplies)
    Date NSN Established: 1963001 (January 01, 1963)
    AKGP FILM TYPE AERIAL
    MATL MATERIAL PLASTIC, CELLULOSE ACETATE
    AKGS EMULSION TYPE BLACK AND WHITE
    AKGT REPRODUCTION TYPE NEGATIVE
    AKGW EMULSION SENSITIVITY PANCHROMATIC EXTE
    AKGX RES
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, from the scant information, the GAF film may not be for USAF use. That is a guesstimate for now.

Our cannisters and rolls fit our cameras as easily as any other camera. I have some 5" and 9" rolls here AAMOF and they look just like film rolls.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    No Doubt if you hapen to have a USAF Arial Camera they probaly drop right into the magazine...

Gaf got out of the Photographic buisiness in the mid seventies. They droped products, as I recall our High School Camera club got a closeout deal on a case of Gallon Cans of GAF Acid FIxer, while some of the members were using bulk rolls of GAF film from Freestyle.. I worked at a camera counter after high School, and I recall GAF Colour 110 Film came out with C-22 Process, while every other 110 Film was C-41. They dissappered completly shortly after that.

A web search for the NSN (AKa NATO Number) on the can gives the news that it is no older than 1963
    FILM,PHOTOGRAPHIC
    (NSN 6750005774637)
    FSG (Federal Supply Group): 67 (Photographic Equipment)
    FSC (Federal Supply Code): 6750 (Photographic Supplies)
    Date NSN Established: 1963001 (January 01, 1963)
    AKGPFILM TYPEAERIAL
    MATLMATERIALPLASTIC, CELLULOSE ACETATE
    AKGSEMULSION TYPEBLACK AND WHITE
    AKGTREPRODUCTION TYPENEGATIVE
    AKGWEMULSION SENSITIVITYPANCHROMATIC EXTE
    AKGXRES
    Wow, I didn't know I could use that number or even what it meant, thanks! Learning a lot!

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Well, from the scant information, the GAF film may not be for USAF use. That is a guesstimate for now.

Our cannisters and rolls fit our cameras as easily as any other camera. I have some 5" and 9" rolls here AAMOF and they look just like film rolls.

PE
    What's "our canisters" mean? Do you work someplace I'm supposed to be aware of? Do you mean 5" and 9" tall roll film? Wow what is that even used in? I thought that big you had to use sheets because of needing a flat/even plane over such a large surface area?

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have quite a bit of their Hyfinol developer and Hyfinol Replenisher. Most is in Ansco cans, but I have a few branded GAF. It's a nice developer and pretty unique, but results not wildly different from D-76. I read some discussion about Hyfinol by Patrick Gainer a while back. He liked the stuff and tried to reverse engineer it (fairly successfully from the sound of it). I also have a bit of GAF Permadol; I believe that was their standard tank developer.

I can see how it would be interesting to find the manufacturer's information, but I don't think it would really be helpful. I have directions for the Kodak aerial films (which I shoot in Cirkut Cameras) and the directions for aerial use are nothing like what is needed for pictorial use. You just have to test and find the best EI and developing time for your use, as with any other film. You've got a good starting point, which is the hardest part. For myself, I'd want about a stop more exposure than the negatives you showed earlier. At that point you might, or might not, end up wanting a somewhat shorter developing time too (maybe 20 percent).

BTW, I shot some of that same GAF film in 9.5 inch when I first started with the Cirkut Camera back in the early 80's. I took one of the nicest black and white shots I ever got with the Cirkut on that film (already well out of date then). I imagine I developed it in D76, but don't really remember. It was very nice film that I didn't fully appreciate until it was too late to find more.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

In case anyone wanted to see my mod for my daylight 70mm tank...

It has some light leak issues I'm working out. Still hoping an actual daylight tank appears that I can buy off someone, if they even exist...

~Stone

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    I have quite a bit of their Hyfinol developer and Hyfinol Replenisher. Most is in Ansco cans, but I have a few branded GAF. It's a nice developer and pretty unique, but results not wildly different from D-76. I read some discussion about Hyfinol by Patrick Gainer a while back. He liked the stuff and tried to reverse engineer it (fairly successfully from the sound of it). I also have a bit of GAF Permadol; I believe that was their standard tank developer.

I can see how it would be interesting to find the manufacturer's information, but I don't think it would really be helpful. I have directions for the Kodak aerial films (which I shoot in Cirkut Cameras) and the directions for aerial use are nothing like what is needed for pictorial use. You just have to test and find the best EI and developing time for your use, as with any other film. You've got a good starting point, which is the hardest part. For myself, I'd want about a stop more exposure than the negatives you showed earlier. At that point you might, or might not, end up wanting a somewhat shorter developing time too (maybe 20 percent).

BTW, I shot some of that same GAF film in 9.5 inch when I first started with the Cirkut Camera back in the early 80's. I took one of the nicest black and white shots I ever got with the Cirkut on that film (already well out of date then). I imagine I developed it in D76, but don't really remember. It was very nice film that I didn't fully appreciate until it was too late to find more.
    Yea, pretty sure I metered wrong, or I Maybe should be shooting at EI 100... The date stamp of expiring nearly 30 years ago would put my stop correction (1 stop every 10 years right?) at almost ASA25... I think that's a bit much.... But my tri-x arial was MUCH worse, putting it from 400 to EI 25 based on tests and expired in the 80's... Crazy... Tri-x can't handle time...

If I can get the bellows on my 116 & 616 replaced I'll buy another 10 rolls of This GAF and respool it, it seems like a good match. that is if you guys don't buy it out from under me lol

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    What's "our canisters" mean? Do you work someplace I'm supposed to be aware of? Do you mean 5" and 9" tall roll film? Wow what is that even used in? I thought that big you had to use sheets because of needing a flat/even plane over such a large surface area?

~Stone

PE:

What will it take to get you to post that shot again with you in your flight suit?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin