Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,525   Online: 1065

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

GAF Arial film development questions

So I have a bunch of rolls if GAF Corporation arial film, I could find NO data on this film and only a bit about the company itself. (At the time I wasn't on APUG) so I did some experimenting using ilfsol 3 (1+9) and seemed to get a good exposure, but I just shot a bunch of hurricane images and I kind of want to know if there is any official data, what developer was originally used and if it's still around, times etc.

I've been shooting it actually at the 200 ASA mark, I know this doesn't make sense but at the time I was experimenting with the development and didn't realize arial film had different EI for ground shooting and I'm probably pushing the film and not realizing it.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Developing 15 feet at a time is a pain, but so much fun to see the result!

I'm trying to upload an image but it keeps saying "not a valid image file" perhaps I'm just not allowed since I haven't yet chosen to subscribe? I'll keep trying but posting in the mean time.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check this link from ebay-it's got some developing info. http://www.ebay.com/itm/70MM-X-15-B-...00732867178%26

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    Check this link from ebay-it's got some developing info. http://www.ebay.com/itm/70MM-X-15-B-...00732867178%26
    Nice try, those are MY instructions haha

He also put them down completely wrong, I made a deal to test and give him instructions and they are wrong anyway, people frustrate me, my name is attached with the wrong info credited ugh, haha

Thanks though, anyone else??

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I thought it was too much of a coincidence!Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is probably in my USAF Aerial Photo manual somewhere, but before I go to all of the trouble looking it up, I must tell you that this film is probably much more valuable as a collectors item than as something you would use. Many of these items have begun vanishing as people "try them out". It will probably be pretty foggy. GAF was not known for films that kept. Anscochrome was pretty good as were their B&W offerings as long as they were kept well and used before their expiration date.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is probably in my USAF Aerial Photo manual somewhere, but before I go to all of the trouble looking it up, I must tell you that this film is probably much more valuable as a collectors item than as something you would use. Many of these items have begun vanishing as people "try them out". It will probably be pretty foggy. GAF was not known for films that kept. Anscochrome was pretty good as were their B&W offerings as long as they were kept well and used before their expiration date.

PE
    Thanks PE, however I've already developed a few rolls of it, and what's the point of keeping film you will never use? I'll keep the canister and box?

It's not at ALL fogged, I was shocked the first roll, it's in better shape than my 100' roll of tri-x aero film which was badly fogged, but this stuff, nothing, and the fact that I'm shooting it at its listed ASA and getting good stuff is amazing, it comes out just like the pan f plus I shot side by side for comparison.

However I haven't had any of it scanned yet, so I don't know the grain (well I a section of it scanned with my 35mm scanner, but a whole image, not yet).

It's drying right now... See?

Hope you can see them. But I'm totally winging it here with times etc, would be nice to know the correct ones.

That link above that the other guy gave to eBay, you can see the scanned image.

I want to buy another 10 rolls from the guy (hope this post doesn't get me to lose all of them) lol

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am very surprised and happy for you that the film is not fogged. It must have been exceptionally good for keeping and it must have been stored very well. Looks like you have the exposure and process times locked in.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Well if you think it's correct, that's good enough for me!

Yea it's all from the same lot so I hope I can snag some more.

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The military used several developers for aerial films. D-76 was used for low contrast development, DK-50 for moderate contrast, and a special developer AFD-4 for high contrast. AFD-4 was essentially a phenidone based paper developer. I have the formula if anyone is interested.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The military used several developers for aerial films. D-76 was used for low contrast development, DK-50 for moderate contrast, and a special developer AFD-4 for high contrast. AFD-4 was essentially a phenidone based paper developer. I have the formula if anyone is interested.
    Thanks Gerald, so even though it's GAF film they used Kodak developer? Was the GAF film division bought by anyone? I know they still exist but stopped making film about the time mine expires haha.

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin