Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,413   Online: 966
      
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 50
  1. #11
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,785
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    The different speeds call for different development times, so this approach won't work.

    For general work, I shoot D3200 at 1000 to 1600 and develop for the time specified for 3200. It gives good results.
    That makes sense. I get results I really like shooting at 3200 and developing for the times listed for 6400. I do the same thing with my remaining TMZ. I've shot TMZ at 6400 with good results for some subjects, developing for 12,500.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    39
    delta 3200 is actually a low contrast film designed for pushing with a speed increasing developer resulting in normal contrast.
    If you are using Microphen stock as per ilfords recommended dilutions with microphen, then shoot at 3200 and you will get a normal contrast index negative with ample shadow detail (an 8 stop range). However, D3200 and Microphen combination will be quite grainy which may or may not be what you want.
    But you say you are using D76 and that is at least a stop slower than microphen with D3200.
    Ilford work out ISO using ID11 (same as D76 near enough) so that speed of 1000 or 1250 will be about right with D76.
    But if you must have the speed of 3200 or 6400 then microphen will be your best option, optimally at EI 3200.

  3. #13
    lancekingphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    The different speeds call for different development times, so this approach won't work.

    For general work, I shoot D3200 at 1000 to 1600 and develop for the time specified for 3200. It gives good results.
    I kind of wondered about the feasibility of shooting for different ISOs on the same roll. If I do end up shooting at a slower speed, I'll bear that in mind. Thanks!

  4. #14
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,557
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Some say the true speed of D3200 is max 1000
    Included in the 'some' is Ilford themselves. So I think ISO 1000 is believable!


    Steve.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,876
    Sorry, I need to elaborate here. My advice on speed alteration is intended to give the user an indication of shadow detail which is only marginally affected by development times. I'd use the time for 3200 which may blow the highlights a little for the slowest speed but given that most users agree as has been stated by Allen that the next higher film speed dev time should be used because D3200 is a low contrast film then even the dev time for 3200 will only increase highlight density a little.

    If 1250 to 1600 turns out to give the required shadow detail then the time for 3200 will be close to the right time

    I think that Allen has got it right but the OP may need to discover for himself. Unless he experiments he will never know for himself what his right speed is.

    The alternative is 9 shots at 800 then 9 at 1250 etc and cutting the film in the dark into four sections and developing separately and with knowledge of leader measurement to frame one and markers on a bench for nine frames this kind of cutting is possible with the loss of one frame at each cut but it is quite an ordeal unless the OP is familiar with and has had experience with such a procedure in the dark.

    pentaxuser

  6. #16
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,785
    Quote Originally Posted by litody View Post
    delta 3200 is actually a low contrast film designed for pushing with a speed increasing developer resulting in normal contrast.
    If you are using Microphen stock as per ilfords recommended dilutions with microphen, then shoot at 3200 and you will get a normal contrast index negative with ample shadow detail (an 8 stop range). However, D3200 and Microphen combination will be quite grainy which may or may not be what you want.
    But you say you are using D76 and that is at least a stop slower than microphen with D3200.
    Ilford work out ISO using ID11 (same as D76 near enough) so that speed of 1000 or 1250 will be about right with D76.
    But if you must have the speed of 3200 or 6400 then microphen will be your best option, optimally at EI 3200.
    Microphen isn't the only speed increasing developer available. I agree that something like it (phenidone, no?) will be better than D76, but it doesn't HAVE to be Microphen. I can tell you from experience that T-Max developer works beautifully, and I'd guess that Xtol would work well too, though I have no experience with it and this film.

    Of course Ilford recommends their own developers.

    Where this film really becomes superb, IMHO, is in 120. Now if I get around to shelling out the money for that 80mm 1.9 for my Mamiya...

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Florida, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,917
    If I was getting the result I wanted, I don't think I would change it the night before the shoot just because someone said something.... even if that someone was an expert. I might take a backup camera with the new setting and might shoot concurrently, however.

    If it is an indoor portrait, you aren't likely to encounter extreme brightness range anyway.

    Based on my personal experience, I got a good result shooting Delta 3200 at ISO 1600 and develop it as if EI 2400 but that's with my camera, my developer, and my thermometer....

    Seriously, I won't fool would what works this late in game.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

  8. #18
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Ignacio, CO, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,598
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    If I was getting the result I wanted, I don't think I would change it the night before the shoot just because someone said something.... even if that someone was an expert. I might take a backup camera with the new setting and might shoot concurrently, however.

    If it is an indoor portrait, you aren't likely to encounter extreme brightness range anyway.

    Based on my personal experience, I got a good result shooting Delta 3200 at ISO 1600 and develop it as if EI 2400 but that's with my camera, my developer, and my thermometer....

    Seriously, I won't fool would what works this late in game.
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Microphen isn't the only speed increasing developer available. I agree that something like it (phenidone, no?) will be better than D76, but it doesn't HAVE to be Microphen. I can tell you from experience that T-Max developer works beautifully, and I'd guess that Xtol would work well too, though I have no experience with it and this film.

    Of course Ilford recommends their own developers.

    Where this film really becomes superb, IMHO, is in 120. Now if I get around to shelling out the money for that 80mm 1.9 for my Mamiya...
    correct, there are other speed increasing developers. But very few as fast as microphen but I haven't used them all.
    DDX for 18 mins using 1+4 @ 20deg C shot at 1600 will work well and give finer grain than Microphen. But if its pure speed you want then Microphen is the developer of choice IMO. It really comes down to making a choice between speed or grain or what the lighting level dictates and if the lighting level really dictates a required speed of 3200 or 6400 then microphen is the best choice for a normal contrast negative. T-Max or XTol will give finer grain but you won't achieve 3200 speed with them. i.e. with most other developers you will lose shadow detail unless you expose at slower speeds which isn't what the OP asked for.

    I hear time and time again people quoting ilfords ISO 1000 figure for D3200. But people just don't seem to know or understand that that figure is derived from using ID11 and not a push developer. Its called D3200 because thats what you get with microphen and not with ID11. And beating Ilford for promoting its own developers is a pointless exercise. Not only do they promote them but they develop and test films using their own materials. Infact they optimise their films and developers to work together. Kind of makes sense to use them together, especially if you want maximum speed film.

  10. #20
    Colin Corneau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brandon, MB
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,726
    Images
    329
    From all I've ever heard of this film - shooting at a lower speed gives you extra shadow detail (not a bad thing, given that you want a softer look for this particular shoot) while still getting that lovely grain.

    FWIW, I've always shot this film at EI-1600 and developed for 3200. It's a unique film and another hit from Ilford, I say.

    Good luck.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

    MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin