Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,591   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    I thought as much too. However when the print cooled the neutral gray color remained. How about my washing technique? How long do you all wash a print after toning? I only gave 15 minutes. Was that enough? if it wasn't, could that have caused the heat to delete the tone color?
    I assume your washing technique is along the lines set by Ilford? I hesitate to use their process ver batem as it seems a little on the liberal side. However Iím sure it works for most. No. I donít believe having some residual hypo in the fibers would cause a reverse reaction with the selenium complexes. If it did something like that I would expect some further evidence such as black powder precipitate on the print surface and a reduction of the overall density especially in the lighter gray areas (and possibly some mottling). Check your upper platen: did anything transfer there?
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Images
    I can't remember where I read about that effect of heating on toned prints, but I do remember experiencing it once. Use the lowest temperature that will melt the shellac for the shortest time. That seems to be what those do who have not had trouble with color change.

The color of the image may have more to do with particle size, as you will see a difference in color if you use a fine grain developer on the print. Heating may allow particles to join to form larger particles.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    This suggestion is not meant to insult you but:

Were the prints 100% dry before mounted? If you have a split selenium tone, ... Therefore if yor images were seemingly dry, but not 100%, there may have been further drydown to swallow up the purple hues.

Tom
    Interesting point. Until now, I always thought my prints were entirely dry when mounted. I did wait at least 24 hours before mounting but a curious thing happened when I opened the press. A small amount of steam came out. Where would that moisture have come from except from the print itself?. That is strange because the print felt and looked completely dry before mounting.

As far as print color, the print was not split toned. the color change was even across the print and readily apparent.

Images
    Good Morning, Schwinn,

The steam could have come from either the mounting board or the print. It's always a good idea to put the board in the press for a minute or so before starting the mounting process. It doesn't hurt to do likewise with the print itself. Pre-heating (moisture removal) is not always critical with FB mounting, but definitely is with RC.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer
    I can't remember where I read about that effect of heating on toned prints, but I do remember experiencing it once. Use the lowest temperature that will melt the shellac for the shortest time. That seems to be what those do who have not had trouble with color change.

The color of the image may have more to do with particle size, as you will see a difference in color if you use a fine grain developer on the print. Heating may allow particles to join to form larger particles.
    I reduced the temperature of my press to 200 degrees from 250 degrees. When I did this, the print I was mounting retained its tone. So it turns out that temperature was the issue after all. That's a good thing to know for sure

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin