Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,883   Posts: 1,520,516   Online: 812

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Selenium tone lost under drymount press

Hi all,

I had a curious experience last week. I printed a picture on Ilford FB warmtone and toned it in Kodak selenium 1:9 so I had a strong color change. I washed it properly and allowed the print to dry. I mounted it on acid free museum board using Seal dry mount tissue and set my Seal dry mount press to about 250 degrees. I sanwiched the print between the board I was mounting it to and another board on top. When I pulled the print after 3 minutes... all my tone color was gone! The print went back to a neutral gray.

Anyone ever see this before?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    Hi all,

I had a curious experience last week. I printed a picture on Ilford FB warmtone and toned it in Kodak selenium 1:9 so I had a strong color change. I washed it properly and allowed the print to dry. I mounted it on acid free museum board using Seal dry mount tissue and set my Seal dry mount press to about 250 degrees. I sanwiched the print between the board I was mounting it to and another board on top. When I pulled the print after 3 minutes... all my tone color was gone! The print went back to a neutral gray.

Anyone ever see this before?
    That's a new one on me, I selenium tone MGWT for color and drymount and I've never had the problem. But 250 degrees sounds a bit hot. I use the temperature calibration strips to adjust my drymount temp.

Don Bryant

I use the same paper, etc that you use and have never noticed a shift in color from dry mounting.

I agree that 250 sounds a bit hot. I use 195 at 2 minutes.

A conumdrum indeed.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I did wonder about the temperature too. From my chemistry experience, I know that heat energy can have unusual effects beyond carbonizing a substance. I have another print which I have not mounted yet but processed in the same way. I shall mount it at 195 and 2 minutes (or whatever time will make the bond strong enough) and post the result for those who might be curious

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount
    I did wonder about the temperature too. From my chemistry experience, I know that heat energy can have unusual effects beyond carbonizing a substance. I have another print which I have not mounted yet but processed in the same way. I shall mount it at 195 and 2 minutes (or whatever time will make the bond strong enough) and post the result for those who might be curious
    Greetings, I use 210 Deg F. for only 60 Seconds, no problems, Barrie

Images
    Good Morning,

I agree about the temperature. Somewhere around 200 degrees should be right for FB.

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is complete speculation but could the observed effect be caused by the high temperature changing the surface, thus modifying the quality of reflected light? I cannot believe the selenium complexes have been modified to any extent by the temperture stated.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have never seen this and I mount a lot of selenium toned prints - usually for a little cooler and never more than 30 sec. But never a color shift. I use mostly Forte Fortenza

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    This is complete speculation but could the observed effect be caused by the high temperature changing the surface, thus modifying the quality of reflected light? I cannot believe the selenium complexes have been modified to any extent by the temperture stated.
    I thought as much too. However when the print cooled the neutral gray color remained. How about my washing technique? How long do you all wash a print after toning? I only gave 15 minutes. Was that enough? if it wasn't, could that have caused the heat to delete the tone color?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This suggestion is not meant to insult you but:

Were the prints 100% dry before mounted? If you have a split selenium tone, it is far more apparrent in the wet print and can largely disappear when dry. Therefore if yor images were seemingly dry, but not 100%, there may have been further drydown to swallow up the purple hues. A print that is dry to the touch and no longer floppy (but perhaps not as bone dry as it could be) will dry mount perfectly well as it dries out in seconds. Pure speculation, but a thought, as I to cannot imagine that heat would cause the problems you mention. I use a sealmount without adjustable temperature (laminate or dry mount settings only - I use laminate as dry mount is never hot enough for my tissues) and simply use for minimum dwell time required. Occassionally I have had the odd corner refusing to adhere so it has been in and out a few times. Never have I had what you report, weird! To change colour I would have thought that the chemical change would have to be reversed or at least the grain structure seriously altered (as I thought the colour was a result of grain structure and reflectance....), but my lack of of chemistry PhD might render this total rubbish.

on the subject of temperature...tho one may use supposedly higher temperatures than other, the temperature the print is subject to may not be higher? One may use a thicker print sandwich and lesss time. If you subject tissue to direct heat ie with a tacking iron it pretty well instantly melts or bonds. I therefore hypothesise that if you use the minimum time to get a perfect bond, then the print will have been subject to the same temperature regardless of what the dry mount press dial reads....about the operating temperature of your particular tissue. For me 45s = perfect bond, 35 s= no bond to partial bond (vacuum press). I would have thought that where long dwell times and lower temperatures are used, it perhaps takes that bit longer for the heat to conduct through and reach full temperature?
    Just guessing...
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin