Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,650   Online: 677

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Something I should have mentioned. I notice that you say Rodinal is your standard developer. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I use FP4+ with D76 at 1:1. The developer film combination is very important and I believe Rodinal is an acutance developer (others will correct me if wrong). Rodinal is also an excellent developer and probably my second choice to D76. However, my own experience with it showed it produced slightly better results with faster film.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    ...maybe I *should* ponder switching to PMK.
    My fave of late is DD-X on all my b&w films, been playing with staining developers too (WD2D+) but it is becoming a real love/hate relationship.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll be contact printing 5x7 and you know how many people go on and on about the virtues of using a pyro-based developer for contact printing.

For now I'm just going to run through what I have. Next year, when I run out of both film and developer, I'll revisit the idea.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    no blocked highlights.
    However, the scans shown are all of low contrast scenes (overcast days).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    However, the scans shown are all of low contrast scenes (overcast days).
    Right, you have to reduce developing time (N-1 in zone system terms) for high contrast scenes.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FP4+ is a wonderful, flexible film with beautiful tonality. It will work extremely well in a wide variety of developers from solvent formulas (D76/ID11, XTOL, DDX, etc) at various dilutions, to acutance formulas. Quality is as good as it gets. It is grainier than fully-tabular equivalents such as Delta 100, but works better in staining Pyro developers such as WD2D+, producing better speed. It also stains well in PMK for those interested in that developer, although it will obviously be grainier in staining developers than in solvent developers (as any film will be).
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 11-04-2012 at 04:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FP4+ is a good film and Ilford's quality control makes it an excellent choice. At first I would suggest using one of the developers that Ilford suggests for this fiilm.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now that I think about I did use ID11 3 years ago, maybe with FP4+. I didn't much care for it. I'm going to give FP4+ another try.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    +1 for FP4. Great film, period. Pick whatever developer you like. I prefer ID-11 and Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing I've determined over the years is that most films are terrific and capable of excellent results in many developers. Just a matter of working with it to get what you want. I've found FP4+ a great film and it's awesome in Rodinal. Gotten great results with D-76, Xtol, Exactol and DiXactol too.

In Rodinal:

Ben swim lesson Albany Pool
    Rolleiflex 2.8C Xenotar
    FP4+
    Rodinal 1-50 11min, 30sec 22C
    by rich8155 (Richard Sintchak), on Flickr
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin