Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,016   Online: 888

Shooter
    Multi Format

Old Orwo films - standard agitation / NP10 developing times - help!

Hi folks,

I've been having some good success with expired Orwo films, particularly when stand developed. However, I would now like to try "normal" development techniques.

I've read up about the various agitation schedules that folks use on this and other forums, but would like to try (as a starting point), the schedule recommended by Orwo themselves.

The leaflet included with Orwo films usually refers to Orwo Instruction 1100 for futher processing information, and this is available, with processing times, on the net here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21121448@N06/4457271421/

It states that "All developing times refer to continuous moderate agitation in the solutions, comp. p9)", but unfortunately p9 has not been uploaded.

Could some kind person have a look at their Orwo Receipes / Rezepte book if they have have one, and let me know what it says about the definition of agitation on p9? (may be a different page number in the German version).

I have also acquired some Orwo NP10, 8ASA(!), exp 1966(!), so also going to have a try an getting an image out of it. Apparently kept well, but who knows? Had success with ancient Panatomic X, so crossing my fingers I can repeat the success...

Anyway, because the film is so old and wasn't in production that long I believe, I cannot find any processing times listed anywhere. Does anyone have a copy of an Orwo Recipes / Rezepte book, probably published between 1963 and 1966ish that they could look at to see if there is a time for NP10 listed?

I have genuine Orwo R09, A49 and A03 which are working perfectly, so will be using one of these..

Thanks for any help you can give!

Shooter
    35mm
    Where did you buy it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pierods View Post
    Where did you buy it?
    The film and chemicals you mean? A mixture of places - eBay of course, but also private sales.

J.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't take the agitation issue too serious, just employ the technique you are used to.

ORWO even in a 1983 guide refers concerning agitation whilst drum processing to a standing/non-inverted tank with reel rotation. They advise as standard one sudden short rotion every 15sec with change of direction between turns.

You can easily employ this pattern for inverting processing.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ORWO advises for A03 developer for all films NP15-NP30 6-8min@20°C.
    I assume the same would have been the original time for NP10.

For R09 and A49 I assume 9min were the original times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info AgX, very useful.

That's just it.... I've not been using any technique, after a lonnnnng break not doing any film developing. I've been stand developing which, although it has given me good results, isn't quite as good as I want (I think).

As it happens, the ancient Panatomic X was the only "normal" film I have done recently - developed this one using HC110 Dil B for just over 6 mins at 18C, 30 seconds intial and 5 seconds every minute thereafter. Stunning negatives (no fog) from a film expired in October 1970.

Anyway, I had been planning to do NP22 in 1:80 Orwo R09 for 18 mins, and the above agitation - 30 seconds initial, but once every 2 mins thereafter. Sounds like it will be OK.

Thanks again for the info!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin