Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,706   Online: 1243

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What are your "given our import customs limit"?
    If limits not an issue, based on what your said, I would get a chest freezer, try to get a volume discount or reseller discount, and stock up. Rotate your stock as you use it, first in, first out.

Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think he will be spending that amount a month until he gets to a reasonable stores amount of film that he will be satisfied to last him a good while. I don't believe he said he shoots 1-2K worth of film a month!

It's reasonable to me - my husband spends that much a month on his hobby (which does include a land payment - so it's more of an investment that a hobby, but still...).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Everyone's situation will dictate a different response. What I find is time changes all things and what is right today may not be right for tomorrow. I also find that upgrades are generally consistent albeit in longer time frames. So "I personally" wouldn't stash a huge lot. "I'll" do my testing, buy some film and go photograph the gardens of Japan, or some such subject of interest and consider the experience an opportunity to record the wonders of the world. Perhaps that will translate into creating a travel book or a photo book, but for sure I'll be richer from the experience of meeting different people. So for me it's not the potential in the freezer that counts, it's what it produces in the life. Like I say, a different response.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Why not buy a relatively small amount of each of the films you are interested in, do the tests, and then decide what to buy? ...
    In any case I'm not sure I understand your purpose in stocking up.
    That's what I'm just about finished doing. :-) Stocking up because I'm spending time in perfecting my own system of working, which relies on continuity of supply. I'm not in the US, so it's harder/more expensive for me to get the film. I don't want to spend time and money modifying my system to a particular combination of supplies only to find (like with Efke and some Kodak products) that they are suddenly gone. I'd at least like enough film stocked up so if this happens, I can keep a supply of my absolute favourite film in reserve for special projects, and give myself enough time to find a new set of films, test them, and then modify my system accordingly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I don't suppose you have an extra room I could shack up in do you? If you've got that much film, I'm moving in.

That said, I don't drink, smoke, nor do I have kids either - and I think I have a single 5 roll pack of 120 TriX in the freezer and that's the extent of my film right now. How do you find time to actually shoot 1-2K worth of film per month? The developing along would kill me! LOL
    Hehehe... the commute would kill you, though! I wouldn't shoot all that film per month... just saying that would be my monthly budget for buying film for a few months, to get a bit of a stockpile. The developing is another task... Also buying Metol, Sodium Thiosulphate, acetic acid, kodalk, etc., in bulk. At least it's cheap on a per-sheet basis.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    I'd worry about the long term availability of color chemistry.
    That's the other thing I'm worried about. I haven't got an easy solution... I could buy some, but then the expiry is the problem. I wonder how hard it is to make them from bulk chemicals.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    What are your "given our import customs limit"?
    If limits not an issue, based on what your said, I would get a chest freezer, try to get a volume discount or reseller discount, and stock up. Rotate your stock as you use it, first in, first out.

Good Luck.
    I think it starts at $1000 when taxes, customs duties, import fees etc. get added on, and I think from memory it adds about 30% to the price. I already planned to get a volume discount :-) Thanks for the tips :-)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    "I'll" do my testing, buy some film and go photograph the gardens of Japan, or some such subject of interest and consider the experience an opportunity to record the wonders of the world. Perhaps that will translate into creating a travel book or a photo book, but for sure I'll be richer from the experience of meeting different people. So for me it's not the potential in the freezer that counts, it's what it produces in the life. Like I say, a different response.

You've got some very good points. I've already been trying to weigh-up the options for the cash... I could spend a little, travel, shoot some landscapes, publish a book, and repeat, or I could stockpile some film, invest time and energy in my technique at home, and in a couple of years, I have improved technical skills and a great match between my film and my personal system of working. Even better, I'd also have film in the freezer, regardless of whether the manufacturer still exists or not.

Both scenarios have merit. Luckily for me, I don't think they are mutually-exclusive. I don't admit this often, but I'd love to be the Ansel Adams of my area, so travel isn't majorly expensive. I could store film and still go experience life and get it on film. :-)

Really great comment, thanks for thinking of the big picture!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One other thing....

Your taste and preference may change. I bought a type of B&W paper in the amount of what I thought I would use in a year. My taste changed. My standard changed. My preference in subject evolved. They are still sitting in my refrigerator vacuum packed.

It's one thing to have $150 worth of paper in my frig. It's quite another to have $2000 worth of stuff in frig....

Yeah, you could sell them but you'll likely take a significant hit when you do.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LFman View Post
    Excellent food for thought, thanks. It's difficult to see inside Ilford to get an accurate picture of their health. If a major brand name like Kodak had trouble, there's a reasonable chance Ilford had similar issues - the major difference being how they structured themselves internally and so on.

I might consider what I'd use in a year and go from there...

be careful

buying a lot of film can be good and bad.
    good because you have a lot of it,
    bad because it might go bad, very bad.

ilford's current situation is vastly different than kodak's
    ilford has figured it out ...
    kodak is trying to figure it out ...

i'd buy what you need and not overstock or buy gigantic amounts of anything.
    unless you are used to, and know how to expose and process and print/numericalize
    outdated film .. it's not quite the same as "fresh" film ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin