Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,338   Online: 873

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd like to get 100 sheets in ISO 400 and 200 sheets in ISO 100 in 5x7 and 4x5, then 20-ish rolls of ISO 400 and 10 of ISO 100 in 120. It would cost right around $600 for Arista EDU Ultra. Totals: 600 sheets of film and 30 rolls, totaling 960 shots. That would take me through at least six projects I'd think, four in large format and at least two in 120. So it would likely last the year or more.

I'll likely buy one of each of the large format, and ten of the ISO 400 120. It'll take it down to a number my husband won't gripe about, plus it'll allow me to rethink what films I want to use for the next projects. It should get me through the three that I have in mind right now.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If we're talking about the zombie apocalypse I wouldn't really worry too much about fast film. They're notoriously slow.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    On and off I have been thinking of "hoarding" film, but in the end I find that 6-12 months worth of film (in my case 50-100 rolls of 35 mm film) is the best balance. It gets me enough to do a few tests and having enough of one batch to know how it works. I think a steady stream of smaller purchases from as many people as possible keeps film in business. Agile film buying.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    If we're talking about the zombie apocalypse I wouldn't really worry too much about fast film. They're notoriously slow.
    That's not necessarily true, have you read FEED?

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might consider getting some poorly stored junk expired cheap film
    and see what development schemes will produce the best images for you,
    BEFORE you buy a freezer full of film and down the road realize
    the basefog is driving you crazy ...
    its easy to buy a walk in freezer full of film, and just as easy to be disappointed
    that you bought 10K worth of film, and it is useless ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not... if that's what you want, enjoy life!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LFman View Post
    If a major brand name like Kodak had trouble, there's a reasonable chance Ilford had similar issues
    There is a huge difference between what was Kodak and the Ilford of today.

It appears that Ilford has taken the right course , ie, realizing that film is a viable niche product - I believe they will survive quite well. Kodak has not had a coherent strategy for over a decade and it led directly to their collapse.

Just my 2 cents.
    --
    David

Shooter
    35mm
    And don't forget another difference between Kodak and IlfordPhoto . . . Ilford did not have a disappearing enormous colour-materials market to contend with, as they have only sold monochrome materials for decades (Ilfochrome wasn't a mass market product ever, and it was a different part of the original company anyway). The only people who 'understand' the Kodak strategy are sitting in it's boardroom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    That's not necessarily true, have you read FEED?

Roger
    No, but I'll go look at it.

ETA: Added it to my wishlist. My Kindle is going to be very, very full by Christmas. :/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's what I recommend stockpiling:
    *Fuji Velvia 50 (rolls, Freestyle getting in a last batch of sheets soon)
    Fuji Provia 100F Rolls and sheets
    *Fuji Reala rolls, 120 format
    Kodak Portra 160 rolls and sheets
    *Kodak TXP 320 sheets
    Efke KB25 rolls at Freestyle.
    Also some 400 asa fuji and kodak color neg film in rolls.

I feel the most precious and endangered emulsions are Velvia 50, Kodak Portras, and Kodak TXP 4x5 and 8x10 sheets.
    I feel that if you buy the above fresh, double seal airtight and freeze, you can use these emulsions for the next 20 years.

Also, put away some slower asa Ilford films as a hedge against what is sure to be price gouging once kodak and fuji drop from the market. PanF, FP4+, and Delta 100.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin