Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,504   Online: 1173

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Also, in case you dont already know - it is IMPERATIVE that you store these in a manual defrost freezer.

You dont want to use a "frost free" or "self defrosting" freezer. (These cycle the interior temp up and down to defrost- not good for the film.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I spent a few thousand on B&W film and paper in 2006 when I came into a small amount of money. I feel very fortunate that I spent all the money on not only the film and paper but a new Rolleiflex. Everything I bought has increased incredibly in price since then. 200 sheets of 8x10 TMY is now probably more than double what I paid. The Rollei is now nearly double what I paid. 200 rolls of 120 Acros has increased and several hundred sheets of 11x14 wt paper that is now much more expensive.
    I bought a smallish chest freezer that keeps my stuff about 10 below 0. The freezer works great, cost me 50 dollars off Craig's list and it doesn't cost that much in electricity since it is small and well insulated. I am very glad I did all that.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You must be crazy. Crazy.
    $10,000 worth of film!? A bit like another dude in Beverley Hills glossing and salivating over thousands of dollars of film stockpiled for D-Day. What is this about then? One thing that really sticks in my craw is people wandering around here with grandoise plans to stock up madly on film on the premise it might just ensure Fuji, Ilford, Kodak et al that there is a lively market for film, or to impress upon others an obviously higher financial plane. Apparently, they don't actually get out photographing much. By much I mean around 20 rolls a day, each day, 365 days a year, like Magnum. Nah. All just "stock the freezer, the end of film is nigh!". Quite apart from the fact that the reality of deep freeze embrittles over the longer term, time, stains and sticks and can in all probability be rendered useless in that state. Here's some advice: buy $200 worth of film now, and use it in the next month or two. Is film still there afterward? OK, go buy some more and repeat.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ignoring the irrational judging you're copping in this thread, I suspect I'm in a similar (import-wise) situation to you, in that packages over $1k incur a tax penalty, but this is a lot less than courier fees. If you know you're going to use the film, buying early makes a lot of financial sense because of significant price rises that have and will continue to occur.

If you're definitely keen on buying $5-10k worth of film, you're talking quantities on the order of what a retail outlet or three would push in a year, which means you may be able to negotiate directly with a manufacturer to get a good discount by cutting out the distributors, wholesalers and retailers. That obviously works best if you spend the whole amount with one manufacturer, but whatever. Given their small size and human presence on APUG, if I were you I would directly contact Ilford to enquire about a bulk purchase and surface shipping. Surface shipping a pallet of goods will save you significantly over internationally air-couriering a little 5-10kg package every month.

I wouldn't stock up more than 2-3 years of colour though, and I would make sure I bought chemistry at the same time to cover me for my film stock on hand. Getting colour chemistry may become quite hard soon I think, edging towards impossible if films are not being manufactured and sold fresh. And colour chemistry (E6 especially!) does not keep well, so that kind of limits the quantity of colour film stock you might want to keep.

OTOH, RA4 chemistry is meant to keep pretty well, so I have no qualms about buying concentrate for 20L (2000 sheets) particularly because RA4 chems are so cheap. But then, I think RA4 will long outlast the other colour processes because it's used by digital photofinishers, so it's not in imminent danger of discontinuation and not worth stockpiling.
    Last edited by polyglot; 11-13-2012 at 12:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think RA4 will long outlast the other colour processes because it's used by digital photofinishers
    Are you sure about that?
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Thinking of investing in $5,000 - $10,000 of film. Suggestions?

I've read all the posts in this thread including PKM's and all I have to say is that I feel very inferior... What you propose per month is what I make total in a GOOD month... I'm just blown away that you look to "being" a fine art photographer as if you aren't one yet... Which means you somehow have 2k in disposable income... I wish you luck, you obviously have a good step up from many of us, just remember the little people ...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    Yes. Get a digital Frontier print sometime, it says "Crystal Archive" on the back. And note the RA4 materials costs being so low: no way it'd be like that with just film-nerd hobbyists buying. And all the "optimized for digital exposure" (i.e. "we didn't bother to fix the crossover issues and expect you'll calibrate that out numerically") papers available. If you buy a metallic print, it's Endura Ultra Metallic, an RA4 product.

Dry labs are taking more of the market but I reckon there's a fair bit of life left in RA4 thanks to all the Frontier, Noritsu, Lightjet & Chromira machines out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Right, so by this count, John Sexton is a high brow fool for stocking up on 4x5 TMY / TMX and Ilford paper to both prepare for possible product loss and certain price increases.....

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    You must be crazy. Crazy.
    $10,000 worth of film!? A bit like another dude in Beverley Hills glossing and salivating over thousands of dollars of film stockpiled for D-Day. What is this about then? One thing that really sticks in my craw is people wandering around here with grandoise plans to stock up madly on film on the premise it might just ensure Fuji, Ilford, Kodak et al that there is a lively market for film, or to impress upon others an obviously higher financial plane. Apparently, they don't actually get out photographing much. By much I mean around 20 rolls a day, each day, 365 days a year, like Magnum. Nah. All just "stock the freezer, the end of film is nigh!". Quite apart from the fact that the reality of deep freeze embrittles over the longer term, time, stains and sticks and can in all probability be rendered useless in that state. Here's some advice: buy $200 worth of film now, and use it in the next month or two. Is film still there afterward? OK, go buy some more and repeat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah....I spent a crap load this year between getting 4x5 gear and stocking up on film, no doubt. But it is a write off and I am starting to sell work for damn good money so I feel great about it.

It's something I had planned almost 10 years ago in seeing how things were going. Now I am comfortable with my use, replenish and rotate strategy...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I've read all the posts in this thread including PKM's and all I have to say is that I feel very inferior... What you propose per month is what I make total in a GOOD month... I'm just blown away that you look to "being" a fine art photographer as if you aren't one yet... Which means you somehow have 2k in disposable income... I wish you luck, you obviously have a good step up from many of us, just remember the little people ...

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ....It's something I had planned almost 10 years ago in seeing how things were going. Now I am comfortable with my use, replenish and rotate strategy...
    1+

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin