Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,433   Online: 1145

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    How to keep film in freeze and not be brittle after say 30 years.
    There are simple ways to control humidity etc. etc.
    even i would never buy film from the freezer of someone
    who claimed his / her film was frozen in a controlled environment
    for 30 +/- years ... maybe if it was just "given" to me i'd use it
    but probably not .. seeing in 30 years time cosmic + solar radiation
    will probably increase &c to change good to bad ( even quicker than it already does )
    if you bought a mountain of AZO paper, that would make it in full glory
    seeing it is pretty much the only stuff that seems to last, and last, and last ...

this whole conversation is kind of funny, seeing
    the world is supposed to end in just a few weeks
    so i am just going to shoot my expired film and paper
    like it's 1999

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I ask that you show me the proven science that has been researched, tested, evaluated, peer-reviewed and accepted as fact (not heresy) that film will be entirely useable in 30 years from this date.

Better still, roll out the film stockpile that you ferreted away in 1980 and publish your findings.

Until we are better informed with science, and not populist opinion, then, and only then, talk about what film will be like a few decades from now.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    We are not thinking about the effects of humidity... We are talking about the natural properties of celluloid and the stability of the emulsion.
    Show me film that has been in cold storage for 30 years and just been removed. That is the challenge now, not 30 years hence.
    Slow materials, film or paper, keeps well even at room temp. 30 years in freeze or proper environment is nothing.
    Kodak Tech pan, AgfaPan 25 and ORWO NP15 keeps very good in freeze, they are like new, fixed grade papers as well.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LFman View Post
    I am serious about my photography (I am working towards being a fine art photographer)...

Am I missing anything? I know I might appear nuts, but I've thought it through.... mostly!
    Serious and fine art? You better have a lifetime of extra cash (or sleep with the right people) if your goal is to make it as a fine artist. Sorry for the metaphorical dowsing of cold water, but I can't seem to find the slap across the face SNAP OUT OF IT "smiley".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I ask that you show me the proven science that has been researched, tested, evaluated, peer-reviewed and accepted as fact (not heresy) that film will be entirely useable in 30 years from this date.

Better still, roll out the film stockpile that you ferreted away in 1980 and publish your findings.

Until we are better informed with science, and not populist opinion, then, and only then, talk about what film will be like a few decades from now.
    You might also like to see a certificate from Wetzlar verifying that my Leica I is still with original shutter and parts and is working as new?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    You might also like to see a certificate from Wetzlar verifying that my Leica I is still with original shutter and parts and is working as new?
    Just show me the tested, proven, published science about long-term frozen storage of film, not the piffle about Leicas. Thanks.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 11-13-2012 at 06:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just show me the tested, proven, published science about long-term frozen storage of film, not the piffle about Leicas. Thanks.
    I'd be happy with any kind of scientific data, published or not... all I've ever heard is experiential opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'd be happy with any kind of scientific data, published or not... all I've ever heard is experiential opinion.

Bring it on please. As I've said in previous posts, I want to see facts based on proven, reviewed science, and not amateur populist opinion.

—Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    Serious and fine art? You better have a lifetime of extra cash (or sleep with the right people) if your goal is to make it as a fine artist. Sorry for the metaphorical dowsing of cold water, but I can't seem to find the slap across the face SNAP OUT OF IT "smiley".
    Sorry to turn the burner on underneath your cold water but have you considered that unlike 99% of the so called "fine art" photography out there, his might actually be good?

And where have people got this "stored for 30 years" stuff? None of the film I have stored will live in my freezer beyond ten years, color less than 5. That is the whole idea behind creating the 10-15 year basis in the initial stock then using and replacing regularly. There is more of this going on than any of you may realize, Christopher Burkett bought a crapload of Ilfochrome recently along with his color films of choice.

We all have our priorities, mine is making damn good and sure I never have digital become my only option...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    None of the film I have stored will live in my freezer beyond ten years, color less than 5.
    I assume you are referencing to the idea that you will actively burn through your stockpile in this time rather than it's 'keepability'?

I recently found a boxed, unexposed roll of 120 Velvia 50 exp. 2003 that was absolutely ABUSED with heat in a hot closet in a L.A.basin bldg for those 9 years. I exposed it and discovered much to my amazement that it had only an appx 5cc salmon shift. I have every faith that this same film, if frozen when fresh and exposed same amount of time later, would have needed no CC color correction.
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 11-14-2012 at 09:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin