Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,455   Online: 986

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    selling off fogged expired de-speeded film at a profit ? am trying to figure out how that pans out seeing i for the most part only purchase
    am trying to figure out how that pans out seeing i for the most part only purchase
    expired / outdated film ( and paper ), it is usually for less than paid for when new ...
    and just before the film / paper would have hit the landfill.
    Apparently you've haven't worked the simple calculation that in a few year's time, there will be NO color film that is not "expired/outdated". Ditto for many of the currently available, superior B&W emulsions such as Kodak TXP 320 and TX 400.

So in fact, if you're still alive, and unless you stockpile yourself you'll be buying from me (or others like me) on Ebay in 10, 15 years - I guarantee it.
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 11-14-2012 at 09:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Apparently you've haven't worked the simple calculation that in a few year's time, there will be NO color film that is not "expired/outdated". Ditto for many of the currently available, superior B&W emulsions such as Kodak TXP 320 and TX 400.

So in fact, if you're still alive, and unless you stockpile yourself you'll be buying from me (or others like me) on Ebay in 10, 15 years - I guarantee it.
    hi andre

i have worked it out, and don't shoot color film for the most part, when i do it is numbery.
    if i want "authentic" color, i will do tri color, not color film and use the doohicky on my desk
    to compile the image .. or i'll hand color a b/w print ...

in 10-15 years time i will fall back on something i was doing in the 1980s (and never stopped) ..
    when i was in college i taught myself to coat plates ... no expensive workshops,
    no internet, just a 1904 annual with a recipe ...

besides, i find it much easier to coat glass or paper, than shooting expired film ...

do you currently shoot expired film, film that was cold stored for 10-20years ?
    or are you just expecting that your film will be good without a "dry run" ..
    Last edited by jnanian; 11-14-2012 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Sorry to turn the burner on underneath your cold water but have you considered that unlike 99% of the so called "fine art" photography out there, his might actually be good?

And where have people got this "stored for 30 years" stuff? None of the film I have stored will live in my freezer beyond ten years, color less than 5. That is the whole idea behind creating the 10-15 year basis in the initial stock then using and replacing regularly. There is more of this going on than any of you may realize, Christopher Burkett bought a crapload of Ilfochrome recently along with his color films of choice.

We all have our priorities, mine is making damn good and sure I never have digital become my only option...
    Sexton and Burkett are not the best examples to use in comparison to OP. They each sell a lot of prints at $1,000 a pop. A lot easier in these cases to justify spending thousands of dollars stockpiling materials. In some cases it is necessary to complete projects and backlogged print orders, which is why John stocked up on Polymax when it was discontinued. He gets most of his film for free anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hi andre

Actually yes, most of the color film I have shot over the past 10 years has been expired film from Calumet Hollywood's expired film bin (room temp).

I have 260 4x5 sheets of Fuji Astia Exp. 2003. Now how many guys would LOVE to shoot Astia in 4x5 sheets, even with a correctable 5cc magenta shift?

To answer your question about the FRESH film I have recently frozen, here's a metaphor: When you were a kid, did you ever hit a bump or patch of ice/gravel with your sled or bike - immediately afterward - but before you hit the ground/tree, etc - you had absolute clarity - your sole job was to mitigate your injury.

That's were we are right now with film. I feel in 10, 15, 20 years we will know more exactly which developers go best to minimize base+fog on our expired B&W films, and what exposure adjustment, what CC filter and which developer additive to add to our expired color films to minimize color shift, etc.

I feel confident I can get a useable color negative with frozen 160 ASA Kodak Portra color negative film in 20 years, yes.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Sorry to turn the burner on underneath your cold water but have you considered that unlike 99% of the so called "fine art" photography out there, his might actually be good?
    Having actual experience in fine art realm, both representing and selling, I can say without qualification that being "good" has little if anything to do with success. That money would be better spent on establishing connections. The best advice ever given on how to succeed is to marry rich. That direction will get you farther than just being good. Sorry your boiling water has put out its own fire.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually yes, most of the color film I have shot over the past 10 years has been expired film from Calumet Hollywood's expired film bin (room temp).

I have 260 4x5 sheets of Fuji Astia Exp. 2003. Now how many guys would LOVE to shoot Astia in 4x5 sheets, even with a correctable 5cc magenta shift?

To answer your question about the FRESH film I have recently frozen, here's a metaphor: When you were a kid, did you ever hit a bump or patch of ice/gravel with your sled or bike - immediately afterward - but before you hit the ground/tree, etc - you had absolute clarity - your sole job was to mitigate your injury.

That's were we are right now with film. I feel in 10, 15, 20 years we will know more exactly which developers go best to minimize base+fog on our expired B&W films, and what exposure adjustment, what CC filter and which developer additive to add to our expired color films to minimize color shift, etc.

I feel confident I can get a useable color negative with frozen 160 ASA Kodak Portra color negative film in 20 years, yes.

i see what you are saying andre --- good to see you are embracing it.

are you going to acquire color chemistry too ?
    in 10 or 15 years time it might be very hard to process color film stock...
    i guess hair dye and lye and tylenol will always work in a pinch ...

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are you going to answer questions straight out or continue going around in circles? Blah, blah, blah, blah.
    Just provide the proof that film that has been frozen for 15, 20, 30 years (I've observed how your figures are now all over the place) is entirely useable and that the methods and means by which is is processed are available. You have not provided any proof, just bluff and bluster.

Regarding fine art. Oh please! How is this somehow entwined with film, and only film? Have you studied the realm of fine art? What branches throughout the realm of "fine art" rely solely on film? Photography? Really? I don't think so! I don't equate film, either its type, quantity, reputation or availability, with "fine art". Yet more nonsense being espoused by those thinking they've been there, done that and can thank film.

Your naivety is startling, truly startling. I don't think you've been in photography all that long, especially professional practice. Please just get on with photography rather than repeating how much film you've stuffed away for D-Day. And don't be so bloody rude and arrogant to assume of others, "if you're still alive" (presumably, we can wonder about you too?) we can stockpile! I think you need to shake out of your stupor, along with a few others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Are you going to answer questions straight out or continue going around in circles? Blah, blah, blah, blah.
    Just provide the proof that film that has been frozen for 15, 20, 30 years (I've observed how your figures are now all over the place) is entirely useable and that the methods and means by which is is processed are available. You have not provided any proof, just bluff and bluster.
    Relax, Gary... Andre doesn't have empirical data. You know it, I know it, and he knows it. He has his expereince and his beliefs. I've looked for such studies and never found any. If they exist they have managed to allude my semi-interested searches and are not easy to find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's something for you. You need to determine if frozen storage of exposed film is the same as storage of unexposed film.

http://www.nps.gov/museum/publicatio...gram/14-10.pdf

http://wilhelm-research.com/subzero/sapwater0499.pdf

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...fo/e30/e30.pdf

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi andre

i have worked it out, and don't shoot color film for the most part, when i do it is numbery.
    if i want "authentic" color, i will do tri color, not color film and use the doohicky on my desk
    to compile the image .. or i'll hand color a b/w print ...

in 10-15 years time i will fall back on something i was doing in the 1980s (and never stopped) ..
    when i was in college i taught myself to coat plates ... no expensive workshops,
    no internet, just a 1904 annual with a recipe ...

besides, i find it much easier to coat glass or paper, than shooting expired film ...

I like the look of hand coloring more than color film anyway. I'll join you in that.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin